Dr B. Reinalda (Bob)
Fellow - International Relations
Bob Reinalda is a Fellow at the Department of Political Science of Radboud University, Nijmegen, NL. He was trained at the University of Amsterdam as a Political Scientist, focusing on International Relations, and as a Social Historian, focusing on social movements. He holds a PhD in Social Sciences from the Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (1981).
His research focuses on leadership by Executive Heads of IOs and the development of international secretariats of IOs and multilateral conferences. His book 'International Secretariats: Two Centuries of International Civil Servants and Secretariats' has been published by Routledge in its Global Institutions Series (2020). He has the article ‘Institutional Development of the United Nations Secretariat’ in the special issue for the 75th anniversary of the UN in the journal ‘Global Governance’ in June 2020 (26/2). He participates in the Cambridge History of International Law Project, in which he focuses on IOs in the Age of Empire (1860s-1919), and the French project on Multilateralism in Transition (set up by l’Université Paris 8, Sciences Po Grenoble and Sciences Po Paris), in which he discusses the secretariats of international organizations as potential actors of renewal. With Marieke Louis (Grenoble/Berlin) he is updating the 'Routledge Handbook of International Organization' (second edition, 2024).
Bob Reinalda is a Co-Editor of IO BIO, 'The Biographical Dictionary of Secretaries-General of International Organizations' (see www.ru.nl/fm/iobio) and the 'Biografisch Woordenboek van het Socialisme en de Arbeidersbeweging in Nederland' BWSA (see https://socialhistory.org/bwsa/).
He is an Editorial Board Member of JIOS, 'Journal of International Organization Studies', ERIS, 'European Review of International Studies' (for IOs) and 'Brood en rozen' (AMSAB, Ghent, see http://www.amsab.be/en/).
- Bob Reinalda, International Secretariats: Two Centuries of International Civil Servants and Secretariats, London and New York: Routledge, 2020. 204 pp. Global Institutions Series.
- Bob Reinalda, The History of International Organization(s), in Oxford Research Encyclopedia of International Studies, Oxford University Press, 2019, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780190846626.013.519
- Bob Reinalda, 'Routledge History of International Organizations: From 1815 to the Present Day', London and New York: Routledge 2009
- Bob Reinalda (Ed.), 'Routledge Handbook of International Organization', London and New York: Routledge 2013
- Bob Reinalda (Ed.), 'The Ashgate Research Companion to Non-State Actors', Abingdon: Ashgate, 2011
- Bob Reinalda is Co-Editor of IO BIO, 'The Biographical Dictionary of Secretaries-General of International Organizations', together with Kent J. Kille, The College of Wooster, Ohio and Jaci L. Eisenberg, The Graduate Institute, Geneva. IO BIO provides short biographies of individual Executive Heads, both lives and careers, which are structured in a consistent manner to also provide descriptions of the social and professional connections of these individuals (prosopographies). IO BIO is an open access project. All entries and documents can be found on the IO BIO website. Entries written by Bob Reinalda include Joseph Avenol, Johan Beyen, George Bodenhausen, Addeke Boerma, Marcolino Candau, Margaret Chan, Marius Holtrop, Sicco Mansholt, James McDonald, James Salter, Dirk Stikker, Diallo Telli, Gerrit Jan van Heuven Goedhart and Hendrik Witteveen. More information
- Bob Reinalda is Co-Editor of the 'Biografisch Woordenboek van het Socialisme en de Arbeidersbeweging in Nederland', BWSA. This biographical project has published nine volumes with short biographies of some 600 activists from the labour movement and other social movements in the Netherlands (published between 1986 and 2003). All entries (both the original ones and many new ones) are available in an open access online format at the BWSA website, hosted by the International Institute of Social History in Amsterdam. More information