Dr L.M. Rojas Berscia (Luis Miguel)
Assistant professor - Department of Modern Languages and Cultures
Postdoc - Centre for Language Studies
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
6500 HD NIJMEGEN
I currently focus on the dynamics behind language emergence, diversification an obsolescence, as well as on the communicative place of lects in Western and non-Western linguistic ecologies. My work draws on first-hand data collected in the Amazon (Peru-Brazil), the Great Sandy Desert (Australia), Yilan County (Taiwan), Tierra del Fuego (Argentina-Chile), and, most recently, the city of Nijmegen (the Netherlands).
My current research interests are: the communicative place of Nimwèègs in the linguistic landscape of Nijmegen, the meaning of 'language loss', syntactic embedding, the effectiveness of intercultural communication, as well as anthroponymy.
I have a background in field sociolinguistics, linguistic anthropology, formal syntax, thanatology and TCFL (Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language).
- Babinski, S., Rojas-Berscia, L.-M., & Bowern, C. (2023). The Wati (Western Desert) subgroup of Pama-Nyungan. In C. Bowern (Red.), The Oxford Guide to Australian Languages (pp. 893–917). Oxford University Press. Full text
- Rojas-Berscia, L. M., Lehecka, T., Claassen, S. A., Peute, A. A. K., Escobedo, M. P., Escobedo, S. P., Tangoa, A. H., & Pizango, E. Y. (2022). Embedding in Shawi narrations: A quantitative analysis of embedding in a post-colonial Amazonian indigenous society. Language in Society, 51(3), 427–451. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0047404521000634
- Wang, K., Goldenberg, A., Dorison, C. A., Miller, J. K., Uusberg, A., Lerner, J. S., Gross, J. J., Agesin, B. B., Bernardo, M., Campos, O., Eudave, L., Grzech, K., Ozery, D. H., Jackson, E. A., Garcia, E. O. L., Drexler, S. M., Jurković, A. P., Rana, K., Wilson, J. P., … Moshontz, H. (2021). A multi-country test of brief reappraisal interventions on emotions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Nature Human Behaviour, 5(8), 1089–1110. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-021-01173-x
- Rojas-Berscia, L. M. (2021). Pre-Historical Language Contact in Peruvian Amazonia: A dynamic approach to Shawi (Kawapanan) (Vol. 58). John Benjamins Publishing Company. https://doi.org/10.1075/coll.58
- Rojas-Berscia, L. M., & Roberts, S. (2020). Exploring the history of pronouns in South America with computer-assisted methods. Journal of Language Evolution, 5(1), 54–74. https://doi.org/10.1093/jole/lzz006
- 2022 - Nimwèègs from a Dynamic point of view What is the communicative place of Nimwèègs in the linguistic landscape of Nijmegen? More information