Dr I. Rosenthal (Irena)
Assistant professor - Philosophy of Law
6500 KK NIJMEGEN
Irena Rosenthal is an Assistant Professor in legal philosophy at Radboud University Nijmegen. Her current research focuses on the normative and legal dimension of unpaid care in liberal democracies. Most of her research is interdisciplinary, combining political and legal philosophy with law as well as sociology.
Before joining Radboud University, Irena worked at PPLE College and the Department of Jurisprudence of the University of Amsterdam. She obtained her PhD at VU University Amsterdam (2012), for which she was awarded the European Award of Legal Theory (a prize awarded every three years for best dissertation in Europe in legal philosophy). Her PhD examined the ontological dimension of democratic justice and used the work of Foucault and psychoanalysis to criticize political liberalism. During her PhD she spent one year as a Fulbright Visiting Scholar at Johns Hopkins University. She has also published on democratic resilience, the role of emotions in liberal democracies and religious freedom.
Prior to her PhD Irena studied at the University of Amsterdam and New York University School of law and graduated cum laude in philosophy and law. As a student, she worked as an intern at the South Asian Human Rights Documentation Center in New Delhi, India.
- Democracy and Ontology: Agonism between Political Liberalism, Foucault and Psychoanalysis Hart Publishing (Imprint Bloomsbury Press) 2018.
- ‘Ontology and Political Theory: A Critical Encounter between Rawls and Foucault’, European Journal of Political Theory. 18(2), 2016. doi:10.1177/1474885116659633.
- ‘Aggression and Play in the Face of Adversity: a Psychoanalytic Reading of Democratic Resilience’ Political Theory: An International Journal of Political Philosophy, June 2016 vol. 44 no. 3, 337-362.
- 13 May 2020 - Interview in De Groene Amsterdammer, on human rights & Corona More information
- 03 January 2020 - Interview radio-programme ‘Nieuws BV’, on mandatory paternity leave More information
- 10 December 2018 - Interview radio-programme ‘Spraakmakers’, on updating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights More information
- 26 October 2018 - Interview PodCast ‘Alledaagse Vragen’ (philosophical podcast serie), about human rights More information
- 12 January 2018 - Interview radio-programme ‘Dit is de Dag’, about MeToo-campaign More information
Member district council Amsterdam Nieuw-West representing Green Left-party
(24 March 2022)