Dr R.W. Runhardt (Rosa)
Education coordinator Philosophy - Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
Assistant professor - Philosophy of Mind and Language
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
6500 HD NIJMEGEN
Rosa Runhardt is a theoretical, analytic philosopher of science, specialized in philosophy of causation and philosophy of social science. Her work covers two main areas. Firstly, she uses philosophical analysis to improve social scientific research methods, with an emphasis on case study methods and mixed methods in political science. This practical work is interdisciplinary; she directly advises working political scientists. Secondly, Rosa undertakes fundamental research into concept formation and measurement of social phenomena, from conflict to mental disorders to race and gender. She has been published in amongst others Philosophy of Science, Synthese, Sociological Methods and Research, the European Journal for Philosophy of Science, and Philosophy of the Social Sciences.
- Runhardt, R.W. (in press). Concrete Counterfactual Tests for Process Tracing: Defending an Interventionist Potential Outcomes Framework. Sociological Methods & Research.
- Runhardt, R.W. (in press). Limits to Evidential Pluralism: Multi-Method Large-N Qualitative Analysis and the Primacy of Mechanistic Studies. Synthese. Full text
- Runhardt, R.W. (2021). Evidential Pluralism and Epistemic Reliability in Political Science: Deciphering Contradictions between Process Tracing Methodologies. Philosophy of the Social Sciences, 51 (4), 425-442. doi: 10.1177/00483931211008545
- Runhardt, R.W. (2021). Reactivity in Measuring Depression. European Journal for Philosophy of Science, 11 (7):77. doi: 10.1007/s13194-021-00395-0 Full text
- Runhardt, R.W. (2017). Causal Comparability, Causal Generalizations, and Epistemic Homogeneity. Philosophy of the Social Sciences, 47 (3), 183-208. doi: 10.1177/0048393116681079
- Runhardt, R.W. (2015). Evidence for Causal Mechanisms in Social Science: Recommendations from Woodward's Manipulability Theory of Causation. Philosophy of Science, 82 (5), 1296-1307. doi: 10.1086/683679
- Runhardt, R.W. & Cartwright, N. (2015). Measurement. In N. Cartwright & E. Montuschi (Eds.), Philosophy of Social Science: A New Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press