Prof. J.M. Sanders (José)
Professor - Centre for Language Studies
Dean - Faculty Board
Professor - Department of Language and Communication
6525 HT NIJMEGEN
6500 HD NIJMEGEN
José Sanders' research is focused on communication in organizations, specializing in the use of narratives: strategic storytelling. She studies narratives' linguistic characteristics (structure and style) and their cognitive representation, as well as their communicative function in applications by organizations, such as in narrative journalism and in narrative health communication. Her research expertise lies in the domain of discourse analysis and discourse optimization. Her research examines the interplay between the form and the function of discourse in strategic communicative settings, varying from health communication and financial education to journalistic narratives. Discourse characteristics are essentially guiding language users’ understanding, engagement, attitude, and intention to act. Cognitive linguistic theories are helpful to analyze how language users represent viewpoints, frames and situation models in their discourse, using their own perspective as a starting point and trying to reach other language users.
Applying the optimal viewpoints and frames is a major challenge that organizations face when trying to reach a particular target group in a particular context. Discourse characteristics of fictional narrative are particularly helpful to engage readers. An example is a project that studies how personal narratives, instead of argumentative information, can be used to persuade target groups with low health literacy to obtain a healthier life style. Another project studies journalistic narrative discourse as a means to create general meaning and personal impact, and help organizations reach their stakeholders.
José Sanders teaches in the Master program of Communication & information Sciences within the Faculty of Arts.
She is dean of the Faculty of Arts.
- Baarsma, E, S. Claassen, H. van der Horst, J. Hovius & J. Sanders (2022) Knowing the entire story – a focus group study on patient experiences with chronic Lyme-associated symptoms (chronic Lyme disease). BMC Primary Care 23(139). Full text
- Sanders, J. (2019). Sharing Special Birth Stories. An Explorative Study of Online Childbirth Narratives. Women and Birth 32(6):e560-e566. Full text
- Sanders, J. (2019). Storytelling over vaccinatie: Moeilijkheden en mogelijkheden. RIVM Infectiezieken bulletin 30(4): april 2019. Full text
- Boeijinga, A., H. Hoeken, & J. Sanders (2017). “Storybridging” – Four steps for constructing effective health narratives: A case study application. Health Education Journal 76(8): 923-935. Full text
- Krieken, K. van & J. Sanders (2021). Storytelling on oral grounds. Viewpoint alignment and functions of perspective in narrative discourse. Frontiers in Psychology. Full text
- 2017 - 2023 Narrative perspectives in schizophrenic language (RU Centre for Language Studies)
- 2018 - 2023 Reading the Mind: The influence of story and reader characteristics on the empathic potential of stories (RU Centre for Language Studies)
- 2021 - 2025 Evaluating subjectivity in digital news stories: effects on readers groups of varying literacy skills (RU Centre for Language Studies)
- 2012 - 2017 Prevention and health regulation behaviour by understandable personal narratives. NWO Programme ‘Begrijpelijke Taal’ (nr. 321-89-006; BGRL‐11‐15, 2012/04250/GW with ArboNed / Sector instituut voor Transport en Logistiek; PhD/postdoc/valorisation) More information
- 21 August 2022 - EenVandaag online - commentaar op peiling naar draagvlak voor nieuwe coronaboostercampagne More information
- 14 January 2022 - TV-programma M - panelgesprek na persconferentie over overheidscommunicatie rond coronamaatregelen en boostercampagne More information
- 04 January 2022 - Nieuwsuur - televisieinterview over de communicatiestrategie rond corona-vaccinatie (start at 6.30 until 16.30) More information
- 14 April 2021 - Beau/RTL Laat - interview over de communicatiestrategie rond corona-vaccinatie More information
- 23 August 2019 - NRC Wetenschapskatern - interview over klimaatverandering en de rol van verhalen More information
(01 August 2021 - 01 August 2025)
H. Geest Studentenparochie te Nijmegen
(14 January 2020 - 14 January 2024)
Stichting Steunfonds Universiteit Tilburg
(01 September 2019)
Belgium Netherlands Cognitive Linguistics Association