Prof. M.V.P. Slors (Marc)
Professor - Philosophy of Mind and Language
Dean - Radboud Reflects
Professor Marc Slors is professor of Philosophy of Mind. This is the area of philosophy that deals with the nature of the human mind and it's relation to brain and behaviour. Apart from the philosophy of psychology and the philosophy of cognitive neuroscience, philosophy of mind also deals problem such as free will, the causal efficacy of mental states and the nature of consciousness. Professor Slors' work concentrates on the connection between cognition and culture. Previous work focussed on the philosophy of neuroscience, free will, social cognition and the self.
- Slors, M. (2019). A Cognitive Explanation for the Perceived Normativity of Cultural Conventions. Mind & Language, 1-19, https://doi.org/10.1111/mila.12265.
- Slors, M. (2019). Symbiotic cognition as an alternative for socially extended cognition, Philosophical Psychology 32 (8), 1197-1203.
- Abramova, E. and Slors, M. (2019). Mechanistic Explanations for Enactive Sociality. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 18, 401-424.
- Francken, J. and M.V.P. Slors (2017), “Neuroscience and everyday life: Facing the translation problem”, Brain and Cognition 120, 76-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bandc.2017.09.004
- Slors, M.V.P. (2013), “Conscious Intending as Self-Programming”, Philosophical Psychology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09515089.2013.803922
Research grants and prizes
- 2019 - NWO (Dutch Organization for Scientific Research) project (PhD) "Conscious Reflection versus Emboride Habits: The Human Mind from a Non-Human Perspective" More information
- 2014 - NWO (Dutch Origanization for Scientific Research) Programme “Self-Management in Psychiatry and Psychosomatic Medicine” (2 PhD projects, 2 postdoc projects).> More information
- 2012 - NWO (Dutch Organization for Scientific Research) project (PhD) “The Malleability of Mind”.
- 2011 - NWO (Dutch Organization for Scientific Research) project (PhD) “Mind and Narrativity”>
- 2001 - KNAW (Royal Netherlands Academy of the Arts and Sciences); project “In Defence of a New Emergentism” -- postdoc 3 years with 2 year extension>
- 2012 - Mind and Narrativity Towards an Integrated Narrative Account of Self, Consciousness and Reasons for Action More information
- 2013 - The Malleability of Mind More information
- 2014 - Management of the Self: A Humanities Approach to Self-Management in Psychiatry and Psychosomatic Medicine More information
- 2019 - 2023 The Human Mind from a Non-Human Perspective: Conscious Reflection versus Embodied Habits More information
Member ERC panel StG (SH4)/SYG
European Research Council
Docent Cursus Hersenen en Recht SSR