Prof. J.P.J.M. Smits (Jeroen)
Employee - International Economics
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Jeroen Smits is Professor of Comparative Economic and Human Development at the Department of Economics and head of the Global Data Lab. Before Joining Radboud University he worked at Utrecht University, University of Amsterdam and the National Institute of Health and the Environment (RIVM).
Jeroen's major research interests are (all forms of) inequality, social cohesion, (economic) development and database building. He published comparative studies in the fields of education, child labor, women’s employment, child mortality, intermarriage and (public) health related issues in LMICs.
He developed several data tools and indicators, including a subnational version of the UNDP's Human Development Index, a comparable wealth index for low and middle income countries (LMICs), a global climate vulnerability index and the GDL Area Database which provides 100+ subnational development indicators for 125+ LMICs.
- Bras, H. & Smits, J.P.J.M. (2022). Contexts of reproduction: Gender dynamics and unintended birth in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 84 (2), 438-456. doi: 10.1111/jomf.12807 Full text
- Permanyer, I. & Smits, J.P.J.M. (2020). Inequality in Human Development across the Globe. Population and Development Review, 46 (3), 583-601. doi: 10.1111/padr.12343 Full text
- Smits, J.P.J.M. & Permanyer, I. (2019). The Subnational Human Development Database. Scientific Data, 6:190038. doi: 10.1038/sdata.2019.38 Full text
- Schrijner, S.W. & Smits, J.P.J.M. (2018). Grandmothers and Children's Schooling in Sub-Saharan Africa. Human Nature, 1-25. doi: 10.1007/s12110-017-9306-y Full text
- Huisman, A.H.M. & Smits, J.P.J.M. (2017). Duration and quality of the peer review process: the author’s perspective. Scientometrics, 113 (1), 633-650. doi: 10.1007/s11192-017-2310-5 Full text
- Monden, C. & Smits, J.P.J.M. (2017). Mortality among twins and singletons in sub-Saharan Africa between 1995 and 2014: a pooled analysis of data from 90 Demographic and Health Surveys in 30 countries. Lancet Global Health, 5 (7), e673-e679. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30197-3 Full text
- Berendsen, M.L.T., Smits, J.P.J.M., Netea, M.G. & Ven, A.J.A.M. van der (2016). Non-specific Effects of Vaccines and Stunting: Timing May Be Essential. Ebiomedicine, 8, 341-348. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2016.05.010 Full text
- Smits, J.P.J.M. & Steendijk, R. (2015). The International Wealth Index (IWI). Social Indicators Research, 122 (1), 65-85. doi: 10.1007/s11205-014-0683-x
- Smits, J.P.J.M. & Monden, C. (2011). Twinning Across the Developing World. PLoS One, 6 (9), 1-5. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0025239 Full text
- Spierings, N., Smits, J.P.J.M. & Verloo, M.M.T. (2010). Micro and macrolevel determinants of women's employment in six Arab countries. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 72 (5), 1391-1407. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-3737.2010.00772.x
H index: 27
Research grants and prizes
- Knight in the order of the Dutch Lion
Scientific director SciRev and chairman of the board of the SciRev Foundation
(01 January 2013)
Director of DevDat, Data for Development.
(11 November 2022)
Fellow African Studies Centre Leiden
(01 January 2013)
Visiting professor new York University