Dr I.D.A. Sportel (Iris)
Assistant professor - Sociology of Law and Migration Law
6525 HR NIJMEGEN
6500 KK NIJMEGEN
Iris Sportel is assistant professor at the Institute for Sociology of Law and the Centre for Migration Law of Radboud University Nijmegen. She studied Cultural Anthropology and Arabic Language and culture and holds a PhD from Radboud University Nijmegen (2014). Her dissertation was an interdisciplinary study of divorce in transnational Dutch-Moroccan and Dutch-Egyptian families in Morocco, Egypt and the Netherlands.
Her research concentrates on how individual actors –families, legal professionals, and parties in court procedures- deal with and experience law and legal institutions. Most of her research focusses on the state regulation of intimate relationships, with a particular interest for migration, gender, and minorities. In 2017 she obtained an NWO Veni grant for a research project on the role of religion, culture, and ethnicity in court procedures on children from minority families (2017-2021).
She has also participated in a range of policy research projects, including alternative conflict resolution by judges in administrative courts; forced marriages, abandonment abroad, and “marital imprisonment”; the comprehensibility and public acceptance of court verdicts; media reporting on court verdicts; reception centres for rejected asylum seekers; and high-conflict divorces.
- Sportel, Iris (2016). Divorce in Transnational Families. Marriage, Migration, and Family Law. Basingstoke/New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sportel, I.D.A. (2022). Stories of conflict. Ethnicity, social class, and difference in transnational divorce narratives. Population Space and Place. doi: 10.1002/psp.2427 Full text
- Sportel, I. (2020). Moroccan Family Law: Discussions and Responses from the Netherlands. Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, 40(1), 67-83. Full text
- Sportel, Iris (2021). Claims-making in court cases on children. Religion, ethnicity, and culture in cases of Dutch minority families against the state. Oñati Socio-Legal Series, 11 (4), 1066-1087. Full text
- Sportel, Iris & Nissen, Ellen (2022). Tensions between migration law actors and child protection law actors in cases of children without legal residence in the Netherlands. Child and Family Law Quarterly, 6 (34). Full text