Dr B.P.J. Stienen (Bob)
Employee - Institute for Mathematics, Physics and Astronomy
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
Internal postal code: 52
6500 GL NIJMEGEN
As an educational innovator I improve the programme for Physics & Astronomy, e.g. by supporting our teachers in designing their courses and by giving workshops about study skills for our students. I also like to investigate the effects of the improvements I work on. Whenever I have the time, I'm still involved in research about the application of machine learning in particle physics, which is a continuation of my research project during my PhD.
I am incredibly passionate about outreach; whether it be about the university, about the study programme or about physics in general. In my spare time I therefore try to do as much outreach as possible, e.g. on Youtube under the name Fundamentally Explained (a channel on which I try to make particle physics as accessible as I can).
- Applications of Machine Learning in Particle Physics
- I develop and give a workshop about study skills for the students of my programme. What do we know about our brain and about our memory? And what do these answers tell us about how you should approach your studies? The goal is to spread awareness about the answers to these questions as much and as broadly as possible.
- Bachelorstage Natuur- en Sterrenkunde
- Machine Learning in Particle Physics and Astronomy
- Master Thesis Physics and Astronomy
- Master Thesis Project Physics and Astronomy
- Practicum 1
Outreach on social media in which I try to make physics (or more specifically: particle physics) accessible to a broad audience. (YouTube: Fundamentally Explained)
(12 August 2018)