Dr L.D.J. Thijssen (Lex)
Postdoc - Sociology
Postdoc - Radboud Social Cultural Research
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Sociology at Radboud University.
In 2020, I successfully defended my Ph.D. thesis on "Racial and Ethnic Discrimination in Western Labor Markets". My study was conducted at the Department of Sociology of Utrecht University and the Interuniversity Center for Social Science Theory and Methodology Graduate School. Between 2020 and 2020 I worked as a researcher at the Netherlands Institute for Social Research (SCP).
My research interests include discrimination, social inclusion, intergroup relations, and social inequality. I draw on a range of quantitative methods and data sources, including (field) experiments, multi-level analysis, and systematic reviews/meta-analysis.
- Thijssen, Lex. 2023. “Regional ethnic concentrations and ethnic discrimination in hiring: field experimental evidence from the Netherlands”. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 49(9):2434–2453. Full text
- Thijssen, Lex, Frank van Tubergen, Marcel Coenders, Robert Hellpap, & Suzanne Jak. 2022. “Discrimination of Black and Muslim Minority Groups in Western Societies: Evidence From a Meta-Analysis of Field Experiments.” International Migration Review 56(3):843–880. Full text
- Thijssen, Lex, Marcel Coenders, & Bram Lancee. 2021. “Is There Evidence for Statistical Discrimination against Ethnic Minorities in Hiring? Evidence from a cross-national field experiment”. Social Science Research 93:102482. Full text
- Thijssen, Lex, Bram Lancee, Susanne Veit, & Ruta Yemane. 2021. “Discrimination against Turkish Minorities in Germany and the Netherlands: Field Experimental Evidence on the Effect of Diagnostic Information on Labour Market Outcomes.” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 47(6):1222–1239. Full text
- Thijssen, Lex, Marcel Coenders, & Bram Lancee. 2019. “Etnische Discriminatie Op de Nederlandse Arbeidsmarkt: Verschillen Tussen Etnische Groepen En de Rol van Beschikbare Informatie over Sollicitanten.” Mens & Maatschappij 94(2):141–176. Full text
Research grants and prizes
- 2021 - Prize of the Dutch Sociological Association (NSV) for best Dutch article 2021 (awarded once in two years) for the article “Thijssen, Lex, Marcel Coenders, and Bram Lancee. 2019. “Etnische Discriminatie Op de Nederlandse Arbeidsmarkt: Verschillen Tussen Etnische Groepen En de Rol van Beschikbare Informatie over Sollicitanten.” Mens & Maatschappij 94(2):141–176”.