Dr J.H.M.M. Tholen (Berry)
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Berry Tholen focuses on normative issues in Public Administration. This includes themes like:
- What can and should be the role of researchers in policy development?
- What does responsible political and administrative action mean?
- When might policies be called just?
- Governance, Power, and Legitimacy (Ba2)
- Epistemology and Values in PA-research (Ma)
- Administrative Ethics (Ma)
- Integrity and Responsibility in Research and Advice (PhD-programme)
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2023). The Virtues of the Exemplary Moral Leader. Lessons from Aristotle's Ethics. Business Ethics, the Environment & Responsibility. doi: 10.1111/beer.12504 Full text
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2022). Holding It All Together: on the Value of Compromise and the Virtues of Compromising. Human Studies: Journal for Philosophy and the Social Sciences, 45, 493-508. doi: 10.1007/s10746-022-09638-2 Full text
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2021). How to be a responsible scientist. The virtues in Max Weber’s appeal to scientists. Social Epistemology, 35 (3), 245-257. doi: 10.1080/02691728.2020.1845849 Full text
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2020). Dirty Hands and the Fragility of Democracy. Contemporary Political Theory, 19 (4), 663-682. doi: 10.1057/s41296-019-00376-2
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2018). Bridging the gap between research traditions: on what we can really learn from Clifford Geertz. Critical Policy Studies, 12 (3), 335-349. doi: 10.1080/19460171.2017.1352528 Full text
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2018). Political Responsibility as a Virtue. Nussbaum, MacIntyre, and Ricoeur on the Fragility of Politics. Alternatives: Global, Local, Political, 34 (1), 22-34. doi: 10.1177/0304375418777178 Full text
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2017). Virtue and Responsibility in Policy Research and Advice. London: Palgrave Macmillan doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-65253-5
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2016). Drawing the Line: On the Public/Private Distinction in Debates on New Modes of Governance. Public Integrity, 18 (3), 237-253. doi: 10.1080/10999922.2016.1139531
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2016). The value of the issue context approach for scientific policy advice. Science and Public Policy, 43 (2), 184-191. doi: 10.1093/scipol/scv029
- Tholen, J.H.M.M. (2015). Citizen participation and bureaucratization: the participatory turn seen through a Weberian lens. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 81 (3), 585-603. doi: 10.1177/0020852314548152