Prof. M.S. de Vries (Michiel)
Professor - Public Administration
6525 AJ NIJMEGEN
6500 HK NIJMEGEN
Professor Michiel de Vries studies:
• Comparative research into international developments in the public sector, especially in transition countries.
• Conflicts in the public sector
• Evaluations of organizational and policy developments in municipalities, provinces and national government. As such he was involved in the evaluation of good governance on Aruba, sports policies, youth policies, legal policies, gender policies, the railway system, domestic violence, and metrology.
• administrative integrity, public participation and interactive policy
• counterchecks: the independent assessment of the correctness of research commissioned by government institutions.
Prof. Michiel S de Vries coordinates the following courses:
Bachelor thesis Public Administration
Research methods in Public Administration
- de Vries, M. S., Nemec, J., & Špaček, D. (Eds.). (2019). Performance-Based Budgeting in the Public Sector. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Borst, R. T., Kruyen, P. M., Lako, C. J., & de Vries, M. S. (2019). The Attitudinal, Behavioral, and Performance Outcomes of Work Engagement: A Comparative Meta-Analysis Across the Public, Semipublic, and Private Sector. Review of Public Personnel Administration, 0734371X19840399.
- de Vries, M. S., & Sobis, I. (2019). The Potential Capacity of Hamlets: Comparative Research on Small European Municipalities. Central European Public Administration Review, 17(1), 199-220.
- van Jaarsveldt, L. C., de Vries, M. S., & Kroukamp, H. J. (2019). South African students call to decolonize science: Implications for international standards, curriculum development and Public Administration education. Teaching Public Administration, 37(1), 12-30.
- Mangai, M. S., & De Vries, M. S. (2019). You just have to ask: coproduction of primary healthcare in Ghana and Nigeria. Public Organization Review, 19(2), 273-291.
Research grants and prizes
- 2012 - Between 2011 and 2016 prof. De Vries was honorary professor ‘Good governance in small systems of Law’ at the University of Aruba (Governors chair)
- 2016 - Between 2012 and 2016 prof. De Vries was president of IASIA, the worldwide organization of schools in Public Administration
- 2016 - Doctor Honoris Causa in Public Economics from the Masaryk University of Brno
Kaunas Technological University, Lithuania
Free State University, South Africa
Ad hoc contra-expertises into integrity-research, public policy and public policy processes
(01 January 2019)