Referring students for guidance

As a lecturer you prefer to see students having fun while studying and accomplishing good results. Sometimes you come across students whose studies are not going smoothly. There are various places within the university that you can refer students to for extra help.

Why refer?

As a lecturer you can help students with issues related to your course. There are also questions or problems for which you may not have the expertise or tools to help or that go beyond your role as a lecturer. These could be difficult personal problems, performance anxiety, attention deficits or writing troubles. Students often run into these issues at different points in their study. To prevent students from dealing with these issues for an unnecessarily long time, it is important to refer them to the right resources in time.

How to refer?

Do you find it difficult to determine your role as a lecturer? Or are you unsure of how to refer a student? Take a look at the tips on the flyer at the bottom of this page.

Discussing a referral

What students talk to you about and things you notice, happen in a confidential environment. If you are thinking of referring a student, you could talk to the student about why this could help and discuss whether they are okay with enlisting someone else to help. Also, ask the student what information you are allowed to pass on to for example the student advisor.

Possibilities for referral

  • Student advisor: If a student is struggling with the study programme or experiencing personal problems that influence their study progress, the student advisor is the right person to refer to. The student advisor can then, for example, refer the student to the university psychologist. The student advisor can determine what sort of help the student needs and talk to them about a plan of action.
  • Confidential advisor: Do you notice a student being treated differently or bullied by fellow students? Or did a student come to you with problems with discrimination or (sexual) intimidation? It is very important students feel safe when talking about such issues. For this, you can refer them to a confidential advisor. The advisor can also help the student think about what sort of action they want to undertake.
  • Central Student Desk: If students come to you with questions about enrollment, financial support, grants, requesting certificates and exams, or the Student Portal, you can refer them to the Central Student Desk.
  • Career Service: Students with questions about their (future) career, can be referred to a career officer at their own faculty.
  • International Office: If students have questions about studying or an internship abroad, you can refer them to the International Office.
  • Radboud Writing Lab: Students that have trouble writing can find help at the Radboud Writing Lab. If you are a thesis supervisor, it is helpful to make students aware of this. Among other things, the writing coaches offer student help when drafting a clear structure, writing in an academic manner, and making the writing process more efficient.
  • University Chaplaincy: If you notice a student feeling lonely or in the process of grieving after losing a loved one, you can refer them to the University Chaplaincy. Students can go there to deepen their faith or for personal conversations, even if they are not religious. The University Chaplaincy serves as a meeting place for people from different backgrounds, and the church and garden are used to organise several types of non-religious activities, workshops, and trainings.

Handout reffering students to student councellars

Infographic overview of student support

Infographic Overview of student support at Radboud University.pdf

This infographic gives an overview of the total offer of student support at Radboud University.


Do you have any questions or do you need more information? The Teaching Information Point of your faculty will be happy to assist you.