Instructions for expense claims by employees

As an employee, you may incur expenses. Read more about how these expenses can be claimed in this manual. Version 1 January 2024.

Expense claim

  1. When claiming expenses, you should use the ‘submit expenses claim’ module in BASS. 
  2. Attach a scan of the original receipts of the expenses and payment methods to the uploaded expense claim. You cannot claim without the original receipts and payment methods. 
  3. You must keep the original receipts and payment methods for the duration of the checking procedure. The checking procedure is complete once the expense claim has been paid. You may be requested by the CFA department to provide the original receipts during the checking procedure. 
  4. You should indicate as clearly as possible the context in which all the costs are being claimed, including for example lunch and dinner costs or representational costs. The business nature of the expenditures must be stated. For example, business discussion with……, or meal in connection with business trip from…. to……. Simply enclosing receipts is insufficient.
  5.  You may not claim costs for which you receive a fixed reimbursement in addition.
  6. You may not claim provisional amounts for phone expenses, for example. Fixed reimbursements can only be agreed in writing through your supervisor. The supervisor will send the agreement to your HR department for recording in the P file. 
  7. Your supervisor will assess whether the costs incurred were incurred in connection with appropriate fulfilment of your conditions of employment and whether they can be reimbursed in accordance with Radboud University regulations.
  8. CIF/CFA will assess the expense claims against the rules applicable (internal and tax) in close consultation with the HR division.
  9. Entitlement to reimbursement lapses if the employee does not submit the declaration within three months of the month to which the expense claim refers.   

Expense claims for travel and accommodation costs when on business trips

Please note that From 27 February 2024, it will be compulsory to book foreign business trips with VCK Travel. Due to this change, it is no longer possible to request an advance payment. Read more.

  1. Business trips are usually made using public transport. You may travel first class. If you prefer to travel second class, your reimbursement will be for the costs actually incurred for second-class travel. Reimbursement never comes to more than the costs actually incurred.
  2. If the business trip cannot be made or cannot be made efficiently using public transport, you may use your own means of transport. Reimbursement when using private transport is €0.23 per kilometre travelled. The distance between the starting and end points is calculated using the route planner on The ‘quickest route’ option shows the distance, which is then rounded to whole kilometres. 
  3. Actual costs that can be proved for parking, tolls, ferry, garaging etc can be reimbursed.
  4. Use of private transport on business trips is entirely at own risk.
  5. The costs for buying a public transport chipcard (OV-chipkaart) cannot be claimed.
  6. If you travel using a personal OV chipcard and/or an anonymous chipcard, business travel can be claimed if you enclose a transaction summary. No claim can be made for a disposable OV chipcard. 
  7. If you make frequent use of the train for business trips, departing between 9.00 am and 4.00 pm, or after 6.30 pm, and it pays to buy or extend an NS off-peak season ticket, you may claim this season ticket. When using an NS off-peak season ticket, you may claim only the actual train costs incurred (and not the entire cost of the train ticket as though use had not been made of the NS off-peak season ticket).  
  8. Provable and essential accommodation costs made in the context of a business trip within the Netherlands (meals, drinks and accommodation) will be reimbursed to a maximum of €200 per day. The costs must be reasonable.  
  9. You can book a business trip abroad via VCK Travel. Booking a trip abroad requires you to submit a travel application, even if you already have permission from your manager.
  10. You may claim the accommodation costs actually incurred for a foreign business trip, whereby the maximum amounts on the applicable ‘Tarieflijst verblijfkosten buitenlandse dienstreizen’ (List of Rates for Accommodation Expenses while on Foreign Business Trips) of the National Government CAO must be complied with. 
  11. If you receive reimbursement for travel and accommodation costs for business trips from a third party, the expense claim submitted by you must be reduced by this reimbursement.

Other expense claims 

  1. You may claim memberships provided that they are linked to your work activities and you have your supervisor’s approval. You may not claim alumnus society memberships.
  2. You may claim reading matter, provided that it is generally acknowledged within your profession as reading matter of specific interest to the profession, and you have your supervisor’s approval.
  3. You may not claim for laptops, mobile phones etc. Items of this kind are made available to you subject to your supervisor’s approval and under certain conditions. 
  4. You may not claim any parking costs on the Radboud University site.
  5. You may not claim any fines imposed.
  6. You may not claim any expense claims for work performed or fees. This should be done through Salary Administration.
  7. The following maximum amounts are laid down for certain types of expense:
    Costs for printing a PhD dissertation €2,200.
    For promotional gifts/representation costs €25.

No rights may be derived from these instructions. Reference is made in this regard to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO-NU) and the Radboud University local regulations. The items listed in these instructions are not exhaustive.