Health insurance

Always check whether your health insurance is covered abroad with your health insurance company.

European countries and EHIC

If you are going to work in an EU/EEA country, or (for the time being) the United Kingdom, then you are covered against medical expenses with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your Dutch health insurer.

An EHIC entitles you to essential medical care during a temporary stay abroad. It is designed to simplify procedures for obtaining medical assistance for insured people while abroad. It is also intended to simplify the settlement of any assistance provided by foreign care providers. The EHIC is personal, so must be arranged separately for each family member.

For several health insurers (e.g. VGZ), the health insurance card is also an EHIC. This is stated on the back of your health insurance card. If this is not the case for you or your family members, apply for one quickly and easily from one of the many affiliated health insurers EHIC.

Countries outside Europe

If you are going to be seconded to a country that is not in the EU/EEA or the United Kingdom, it is important to check whether your health insurance covers medical expenses in the country concerned.

Check whether you are insured under the WLZ (Wet Langdurige Zorg, the Long-term Care Act). This can be done with a WLZ test provided by the SVB. The test can be requested digitally (with DigiD).

If, based on the WLZ test, your medical expenses are not covered, check whether you are covered by your travel insurance. If necessary, you can extend it temporarily.