Social security when living abroad

People who work in the Netherlands are basically covered by Dutch social security. If you are planning to work and live abroad temporarily and your employment contract and salary from Radboud University remain valid, Dutch social security will generally continue to apply. 

It is important to check which social security system and tax system will apply during your period abroad, especially if your stay is for longer than six weeks. This means that, prior to your departure, you will need to fill in the Foreign Residency Notification Form. Global Staff Services will then assess whether you can continue to be insured under the Dutch social security system, or whether you will need to take out insurance in the country where you will be staying. The assessment will then be relayed to the HR officer from your faculty or institute so that they can process it.

A1 declaration

If you remain socially insured in the Netherlands, it is important to be able to prove this abroad. Do this with an A1 declaration (‘Certificate of Coverage’).

This declaration is issued by the Social Insurance Bank (SVB), and states that you will remain insured for Dutch social insurance during your stay abroad. The A1 certificate also ensures that your social security in the Netherlands continues and that your contributions are based on your global income.

Please note: if you start working for a foreign employer, your social insurance based on your foreign income must be paid by this employer to the Dutch Social Insurance Bank (SVB).

You can only get an A1 certificate if you work in a country in the EU or EER, or in a treaty country (directs to another website). If you are going to a country that does not fall into either of these categories, it is important to seek advice from Global Staff Services. The GSS employment lawyers will base their advice on what has been filled in on the Appraisal form for longer stays abroad.

Be aware that if you start working in one of the countries mentioned without an A1 certificate, this may lead to problems. If you are involved in a major accident, are injured or become ill, there is a chance that you, your partner or your children may lose the right to Dutch social security.

Your faculty’s HR department is responsible for applying for the A1 certificate on behalf of Radboud University (as employer).

Family members

If your family (i.e. partner and/or children) continue to live in the Netherlands, they will continue to remain insured for social security in the Netherlands.

If a family member travels abroad with you, Dutch social security will only apply if you stay in an EU/EEA country or treaty country (see above). This family member must be mentioned on the A1 certificate and not work in the country concerned. If they do work in this country, they cannot be covered by Dutch social insurance.

AOW and ANW insurance

If you are seconded abroad temporarily, you usually remain insured for an AOW (old age pension) and ANW (General Surviving Dependents Act). Whether or not accrual continues in your personal situation is determined by Global Staff Services’ recommendations, based on the completed appraisal form (see above).

If AOW and ANW are not built up, this can lead to lower pensions or possibly lower survivor benefit. If no AOW or ANW is accrued for more than a year, your AOW is reduced by 2% for each year.

If it turns out that, in your situation, the insurance lapses, you can still take out voluntary insurance. You can find more information on AOW on and about ANW on