Extended period of leave

If you wish to take an extended period of leave, you can use your accrued hours for a sabbatical or long-term leave. You will need to coordinate this type of leave with your supervisor.

A sabbatical is a continuous period of leave in which you will devote time to your own employability, for example, by completing a training programme or conducting research. If you wish to take a sabbatical, you will need to submit a plan to your supervisor. The holiday hours that you have accrued will be supplemented by 40 holiday hours (in accordance with your contract of employment). Your employer may also grant you an expense allowance of up to €6,800.00 to cover such costs as travel expenses, accommodation expenses or course fees.

Long-term leave is a consecutive period of leave, or a period in which you temporarily work fewer hours per week. You are free to use your period of long-term leave as you see fit. This type of leave will not be supplemented by holiday hours or compensation from your employer.

You may also accrue hours and use these to extend your parental leave or training leave.

Do you save 76 hours or more through the multi-year savings model? Then you cannot sell holiday hours.


Your holiday hours can be accrued during a period of between three to five years. You may accrue a maximum of 148 hours per year. Attention: you will need to accrue a minimum of 120 hours per year for a sabbatical. For part-timers, the minimum of 120 holiday hours applies pro rata. The maximum number of hours does not apply on a pro rata basis.

You will need to draw up a written plan with your supervisor in order to keep track of the holiday hours that you have accrued and the holiday hours that you have used up. For this purpose, you can use the Multi-Year Savings Model Request Form. You will also need to notify your personnel HR officer about your request.

Leave No loss of salary No loss of pension accrual Accrual of holiday hours
Sabbatical          v          v          v
Long-term leave          v          v          v


Need help? Get in touch with your personnel HR officer.

Contact department