Checklist for study abroad placement

Before you start your study abroad placement, there are a number of things that you will need to arrange. Make sure that you give yourself enough time, as you will normally need to start preparing things at least a year in advance. This page contains information about what you will need to consider


  1. Apply for your grant

    There are several grants that you can apply for, but your choice will depend on your destination, the duration of your placement and the current stage of your studies. 

    Click here to see the options

  2. Coordinate with the International Office

    The faculty coordinators from the International Office are your first point of contact for all matters relating to your study abroad placement. You can ask them for advice on such things as your destination, the best time to go abroad and grant applications. Once these matters have been clarified, you can make more informed choices and take specific steps.

    Faculties' International Offices

  3. Check the safety guidelines for international travel

    The Executive Board is ultimately responsible for the safety of the students and staff members at our university. It therefore aims to ensure that its staff members and students do not find themselves in an unsafe situation while they are abroad. 

    Read more

  4. Sort out the practicalities

    No two study abroad placements are the same. However, there are a number of useful guidelines that can help you to prepare for your time abroad. For example, there is the Wil Weg Checklist, or the government’s checklist, which can help you to prepare for your study programme or internship.

  5. Compile your most important documents

    Remember to take a list of important information and contact details with you as well as copies of your passport and travel insurance policy. Make sure that you have both digital and paper versions of this information. There is a possibility that you could lose your identity documents, your laptop or your mobile phone, or that you find yourself in an area where there is temporarily no internet or no internet at all.

    For example, think about:

    • Copies of official documents, such as your passport;
    • Travel insurance;
    • Telephone numbers for contact persons at the higher education institution or the internship provider, local embassies or consulates, insurance companies and banks;
    • Your blood type and other medical information.

    Make sure that you also leave copies of this information with your home contact.

  6. Make sure that you have the proper insurance

    It is important that you have the proper insurance before you leave for your trip abroad. You may choose to take out additional insurance or special student insurance, but this will depend on your situation. 

    You can easily check if you are adequately insured for your study abroad placement via the Aon Students Insurance QuickScan. You can also take out additional insurance at any time. You are obviously free to choose another insurer.

  7. Deactivate your public transport pass

    When you go abroad to study or do an internship, you can get a public transport allowance instead of a public transport pass. In such circumstances, you will need to deactivate your public transport pass. Click here to find out about how you can deactivate your pass. 

    Requesting a public transport allowance with your grant application

    When you go away on a grant programme, the grant application procedure that you will need to follow will also include a request for your public transport allowance. This means that you won’t need to arrange this allowance separately. In practical terms it means:

    • We will send you a partially completed and signed form by email
    • You will then need to complete this form yourself
    • You will need to attach the form as a PDF when you submit your online application for a public transport allowance to DUO
    • For this purpose, you must log in to My DUO.
  8. Sublet your room

    If you go abroad temporarily, it can be financially beneficial to sublet your room (even if you rent accommodation from the Student Housing Association (SSHN)). Radboud University can help you with this. If you go away during the first semester, you may be eligible for a €350 bonus. 

    Am I eligible for a €350 bonus?

    Check the terms and conditions

    Apply to sublet your room

    You will need to register your room before June 1. Once you have registered your room, you can expect to hear from us by 30 June. If you have any other questions, please send an email to: housing [at]

  9. Brexit and student exchange with the United Kingdom

    If your study abroad placement is due to take place in the UK, there may be some additional things that you will need to consider.

    Read more

  10. During your stay abroad

    We assume that everything goes well during your stay abroad. But what if things get tough?  Then know that you can make use of all forms of assistance offered by Student Support during your stay abroad.

    Student support

    What to do in case of emergencies abroad?

    In the unfortunate case of unrest  in the country where you are staying, or in the case of another emergency, please check the info on emergencies abroad on the following information pages.

    Emergencies abroad

  11. Right before you travel back home

    Check what you have to do to get the final payment of your grant, so make sure to check the conditions of your scholarship or grant before heading back home.