Coronavirus and your study abroad placement

Under which conditions will my study abroad placement be allowed to take place?

You study abroad placement be will be allowed to take place if your host institution is able to accommodate you, and you meet one of the following two conditions at the time of your departure:

You will be obliged to submit a signed Own Risk Declaration if you wish to travel to a destination that has been categorised as code orange due to COVID-19 to show that you are aware of and agree to the increased risks (PDF, 142 kB) that are associated with staying in an area that has been categorised as code orange due to COVID-19. The submission deadline for this form is at least two weeks before you go abroad. You can submit your form to erasmus [at] (for the Erasmus+ Grant) or studentexchange [at] (for the Individual Travel Grant or the Holland Scholarship).

See ‘Consequences of unpermitted travel’ for more information about the consequences that you will face if you fail to sign your Own Risk Declaration and submit it on time. You will also run a greater financial risk when you travel to a destination that has been categorised as code orange due to COVID-19; for more information, see ‘Compensation of expenses in the event of cancellation’.

Please note: Study abroad placements in destinations that have been categorised as code orange for reasons other than COVID-19 or destinations that have been categorised as code red will not be permitted to take place. See ‘Consequences of unpermitted travel’ if you plan to travel to such a destination.

These conditions - both the travel advice and the willingness of the host institution - should ideally be reviewed at the time of departure to the destination. It is therefore important to pay close attention to any updates from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the host institution. A signed Learning Agreement or a Letter of Approval will not guarantee that you will be able to go abroad.

Check the travel advice three months before your departure to check the feasibility of your study abroad placement. Until then, try not to incur any expenses (non-cancellable or otherwise). If code orange travel advice has been issued three months before your departure, you may continue to make preparations at your own risk, but do give your situation careful consideration. Any costs that you do incur cannot be compensated. Read more about the regulations under ‘Compensation of expenses in the event of cancellation’.

Consequences of unpermitted travel

If your study abroad placement does not meet the conditions but you still decide to travel without permission, you will do so as a private individual.

In this case, the following will apply (if applicable):

  • The study credits that you obtain at the foreign host institution will not be recognised by Radboud University;
  • You will not be eligible for any kind of funding from Radboud University;
  • In the case of a student exchange: you will need to pay your own tuition fees at your host institution.

If you have already received an advance on your grant, you will need to pay it back.

Please note: The Student Life and International Mobility Team will not provide a grant under any circumstances to students who travel abroad to a destination that does not meet the conditions.

Compensation of expenses in the event of cancellation

Incurrence of non-cancellable expenses should be delayed for as long as possible; expenses may be incurred no earlier than three months before the date of departure.

Compensation cannot be offered for expenses that were incurred while the destination was categorised as code orange. This means that if you continue the preparations for your studies or internship when code orange travel advice has been issued, you do so entirely at your own risk. Any expenses that are incurred when code yellow or code green advice has been given may be compensated in the event of a cancellation that is due to force majeure prior to your study abroad placement (e.g., if the host institution cancels the actual study abroad placement), up to a maximum of the amount that has been awarded for the grant.

Please note: When it comes to study abroad placements, the proposed compensation regulations will only apply to the expenses that you have incurred in the three months before your departure.

Additional information and questions

The conditions that have been set for international mobility have been established in collaboration with representatives from all of the faculties, and are in accordance with the general policies of Radboud University.

The following people can be contacted if you have any questions about:

  • Your academic progress: your student advisor;
  • Your student exchange: your faculty's International Office or Student Life and International Mobility (studentexchange [at] (depending on who nominated you);
  • Your internship, research visit, or short stay abroad: your faculty's International Office;
  • Other student exchange options: your faculty's International Office or Student Life and International Mobility (studentexchange [at] (depending on who nominated you);
  • Your Erasmus+ grant (erasmus [at] Student Life and International Mobility ;
  • Your Individual Travel Grant or Holland Scholarship: Student Life and International Mobility (studentexchange [at]

General tips

  • For the most up-to-date travel advice, check the travel advice that has been issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Turn on the feature for country-specific notifications in your travel app to receive immediate notifications when changes have been made to the travel advice for your country of destination.
  • Check carefully to see if your insurance also covers expenses that have been incurred when code yellow, code orange or code red advice has been issued. It is essential that you have insurance with full cover during your study abroad placement. Make sure that you check your travel insurance, cancellation insurance and healthcare insurance.
  • If you believe that study delay is imminent and/or you will no longer be able to take a certain course or do a certain internship, discuss your situation with your student advisor and your faculty’s International Office so that you can reduce the impact that this will have on your academic progress.

If you have been abroad, we advise you to keep a close eye on your health when you return to the Netherlands and to follow the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) guidelines.