Dutch public health insurance for international students

You are required by law to have appropriate health insurance when staying in the Netherlands. International students who have a paid internship or a part-time job need to register for Dutch public health insurance.   

The Dutch healthcare insurance system is called the Basisverzekering, a basic healthcare insurance policy through which all residents of the Netherlands are obliged to insure themselves. The coverage and premium of this basic insurance are determined by the government. Insurance companies are obliged to accept any application for basic health insurance. The monthly premium for basic health insurance is fixed for the entire year, which you pay directly to your insurance company. 

Insurance for students 

Students under 27 years of age can make use of collective health insurance with VGZ. Like university employees, students can take out the basic health care insurance and benefit from a discount on a supplementary package. 

When you apply for health insurance with VGZ, you will be asked for the collectivity number. For students of Radboud University this number is 000104451. 

Visit VGZ 
Alternatively, a collective discount via Zilveren Kruis offers international students a general discount on basic health insurance as well. 

Visit Zilveren Kruis 

Healthcare Allowance 

Depending on your income, you may be entitled to a healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag). This grant is paid out by the government to you, every month, to help you cover the cost of the monthly basic public healthcare fees. Applications for the healthcare allowance must be made through the Dutch tax authority (Belastingdienst). For more information, please visit their website. 

Visit Belastingdienst 

If you are looking for more information about Dutch healthcare insurance you can visit one of the external information providers below. 

Visit Study in NL 

Visit the Zorgverzekeringslijn 

Visit Zorgwijzer 

Visit the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport

Zorgverzekeringslijn has created a handy checklist that helps you register for public healthcare insurance. Besides acquiring basic health insurance, it is strongly recommended that you have appropriate additional insurance as well. AON Start offers a supplementary insurance package that covers liability and legal fees, as well as travel insurance.  

Get AON Start

If you are an international student but you do not make a minimum wage with your internship and/or day job, you are not entitled to Dutch public health Insurance. In this case, you will need to obtain health insurance through a private insurance broker. Please, refer to our insurance guide below to see which type of insurance applies to your conditions.  

See which insurance applies to you

If you are looking for more information about Dutch healthcare insurance you can visit one of the external information providers below.