Leaving Nijmegen

When you are returning to your home country there are a few practical arrangements you - as an international student - need to take care of.


  1. Inform your student advisor or international coördinator

    Please inform your student advisor by e-mail that you will return to your home country. In case your return is temporarily, please mention this in your e-mail.  

    Exchange students

    Please inform the international coordinator of your faculty by e-mail that you will return to your home country, if you are leaving before the official end of your exchange period. 

  2. End your housing contract

    If you are subletting a room from a Dutch student, or renting a room in a private house with a landlord/-lady, you must follow the conditions of termination in the rental contract and/or the agreements made with the owner of the room. So check your room contract carefully as it is binding! If you have paid a deposit, it will be returned to you at the end of your stay if the room is found to be in a satisfactory state, and all bills have been paid. So please contact the owner of the room.  

    For information about the SSH& contract period please check this page where you can download the terms and conditions. Make sure that you hand in your keys to the rental agency (e.g. SSH&, Elroto/Dornick or Guesthouse Nijmegen.

  3. Send your residence card back

    Make sure to send your residence card back to the IND. You can send your card to: IND, Bureau Documenten, PO Box 7025, 8007 HA Zwolle, The Netherlands. Kindly make the document invalid before mailing it. You can do this by making a cut in the document or perforate it. Please do not cut the document in half.

    Please note: For your own administration, always make a copy of front and back of the residence permit before you make it invalid and send it to the IND.

  4. (De)register at the local city hall (Stadswinkel)

    When you leave Nijmegen and you end your housing contract you will need to deregister yourself, in writing, at the local city hall (De Stadswinkel, Mariënburg 75). You have to enclose a copy of your passport or ID, mention your last address in the Netherlands, your permanent address in your home country and the date of departure. Please send an email to burgerzaken [at] nijmegen.nl (burgerzaken[at]nijmegen[dot]nl)

    If you live outside of the borders of the municipality of Nijmegen you must cancel your registration there.

  5. Close your bank account

    Either visit your bank in person with a signed letter indicating that you wish to close your bank account or send this to your bank via regular mail.

    Please note: if your bank balance is negative (meaning you owe the bank money) the account cannot be closed. Or, if there is money remaining in your account, please withdraw this before closing the account. The bank will not transfer money to a foreign account. It is possible, however, to transfer the money to a Dutch account. All such details should be indicated in your letter to the bank.

  6. Check your CAK letter/insurance

    Students who have arrived in Nijmegen may have received a letter from CAK (the Dutch Health Care Insurance Board) in Dutch, which states that you are not covered under a Dutch healthcare insurance and you should take out a public health care insurance. Even those students who have a European Health Insurance Card may have received this letter. Even if you are properly insured you must take action because CAK has no other way of checking whether you are already properly insured. If you don't react to this letter within three months, you risk being fined, and the amounts are high. If you receive a letter from CAK please take action immediately! For more information please check: https://www.zorgverzekeringslijn.nl/english/#5 or Letter from the CAK | Wlz | SVB

    In case you took out insurance yourself at AON or any other insurance company, make sure to contact the insurance company for advice. We advise you not to terminate your travel insurance before you have returned to your home country.

  7. Deregister from Studielink - not for exchange students

    In case you might decide to terminate your enrolment, please submit a request for termination of your enrolment. This will ensure that the termination of your study programme is registered in Osiris. Furthermore, based on terminating the enrolment through Studielink, the Central Student Desk will check whether you are entitled to a refund of part of your tuition fee.

    Please note that if you terminate your enrolment, you will not be allowed to follow online lectures from your home country or take exams. At this moment it is not clear which courses can be offered online. But in case some courses will be offered online and you would like to continue following courses from your home country, please inform your study advisor and do not terminate your enrolment. 

    When you are an exchange student, you don't have to take action.

  8. Report any changes directly to DUO

    EU-citizen? Receiving Dutch study finance (DUO)? Avoid fines and refunds by reporting these two things in a timely manner. Please report any changes (e.g. moving abroad) directly to DUO. You can stop your DUO student public transport at a ticket machine of the NS.

  9. Get your certificate of attendance, or 'departure form'

    When you are an exchange student, your home university may require that you have an 'Erasmus certificate of attendance' or 'departure form' signed by Radboud University. You can send this form to exchangeadmissions [at] ru.nl (exchangeadmissions[at]ru[dot]nl). We will then return the signed form to you by email.

  10. Transcript of grades

    When you are an exchange student, in case you already obtained grades and you would like to receive a transcript, contact the international coordinator of your Faculty by e-mail. 

  11. Sell or hand in your (rental) bike

    • Try to sell back your second hand bike to your bike shop (do not forget to bring the original receipt)
    • Hand in your bike in cooperation with the Student Mobility team and terminate your contract in time
    • Terminate your contract in time with Swapfiets
  12. Sell or hand in your study books

    • Try to sell your study books via the Study associations
    • Books you borrowed from the central library: Please hand in the books you borrowed before you leave for home. If the library is closed, you can also put them through their mailbox.
  13. Stay in touch or find a job at Radboud University or elsewhere in The Netherlands

    • Do not forget to register on Radboud Recharge  and keep updated on the latest developments in your field of interest.
    • And want to come back and work at Radboud? Do not forget to check our website for vacancies.
    • Non-EEA students can apply for a search/orienatation year to stay after their study visa has expired.

Contact us at any time with related questions:  E-mail: admissions [at] ru.nl (admissions[at]ru[dot]nl)  Tel: 0031 24 3623456