What is necessary to become a customer?
- Stay longer than 4 months in the Netherlands: For opening an account it is mandatory that you will study longer than 4 months in the Netherlands.
- A BSN number: This is your Dutch citizen service number. You will get this number when registering yourself at the municipality. You can open your bank account when you arrive in the Netherlands, even if you don't have your BSN number yet. Once you registered yourself at the municipality, you are required to provide your BSN to ABN AMRO. You can provide your BSN number later, after you registered yourself at the municipality, but within 120 days of registration at ABN AMRO.
- Valid ID: you can register through the app with one of the identity documents listed below. If you don't have one you these forms of ID, please make an appointment at ABN AMRO by calling +31 88 226 26 35.
- Dutch identity document (such as an ID card, driver's license, or passport)
- Residence permit (Types I, II, III, IV, V, or EU/EER)
- International passport (excluding passports from the US)
- European ID card (excluding France, Latvia, Portugal, Norway, Greece, Switzerland, Denmark and Iceland)
- For non-EU/EEA students: you need to provide proof you are studying in the Netherlands. Student Admissions will provide you with a signed and stamped document that can be used as proof of study. You will receive this document on arrival when you register at the university.
If you are younger than 18 years old, you should make an appointment at ABN AMRO and a parent or guardian should come with you. You can make an appointment at any of ABN AMRO's branches via +31 88 226 26 35. The request via ABN AMRO's branches can take longer than the request via the app or website.
If you are older than 30 years old, it is not possible to open a student account. You will, however, be able to open a regular payment account via the app or website.
How to open an account
If you have met the requirements to open an account mentioned above, you can open a bank account yourself with the ABN AMRO app. Download the ABN AMRO app in the App Store or Google Play Store and follow the steps in the document below.