What is necessary to become a customer?
- A BSN-number: This is the Dutch social security number and Tax Identification Number. You will get this number when registering yourself at the municipality. This is mandatory for opening a bank account.
- Stay longer than 6 months in The Netherlands: For opening an account it is mandatory that you will study longer than 6 months in The Netherlands. When you stay here for only one semester it is not possible to open an account.
- Younger than 18 years old? Parents should come with you: Otherwise, it is not possible to open an account at ABN Amro. When you are younger than 18 years old an appointment at one of our branches is necessary.
- Proof you are studying in The Netherlands: We can always request you to hand over a letter of enrolment, student card or something else that proves that you study here.
If you are older than 30 years old, it is unfortunately not possible to open a student account, you will, however, be able to open a regular payment account via the app or website.
Use only your official address as mentioned on the forms when registering at the municipality, do not use any map app - address will then be mostly incorrect.
If you have a passport with you
- Download the ABN AMRO app via the Apple Appstore or Google Play Store.
- Click on the button for opening a new account and follow all the steps in the app.
Do you need any help with the steps in the app? Get an explanation
After finishing the steps in the app, it is ABN Amro's turn to get it started.
Your account can be opened fairly quickly, ABN Amro will keep you updated via the contact information you have filled in about the status of your request.
Without a passport
You will need to have a European ID card (no driver's license).
- Go to ABN Amro's webpage
- Click on the button “Become a customer” and walkthrough all questions and steps.
- When all steps are completed you will receive a confirmation of your request in your mail. After finishing the steps on our website, it is ABN Amro's turn to get started.
You will be updated via the contact information you have filled in about the status of your request. With the application via their website, ABN Amro will visit you at your home for identification.
ABN Amro's partner, AMP, will make an appointment with you for a visit to identify you and sign the application documents.
Younger than 18 years old?
You can make an appointment at any of ABN Amro's branches via 088 - 226 2635. The request via ABN Amro's branches can take longer than the request via the app or website.
Please be aware that one of your parents or guardians needs to be present at the appointment in the Netherlands.