Complaints, objections and appeals

Do you have a complaint or disagree with something? On the pages below you can find more information about the various procedures and the Central Office Legal Protection Students. You can lodge a complaint, objection or appeal against a decision addressed to you at this desk.

Please note: is your feedback or complaint not about a decision that was addressed to you, but about certain behaviours of a student, staff member or organisational department? Then please contact the ombudsofficers or confidential advisor for students.