Question, report or complaint
Any student may approach the ombudsofficer regarding a question, report or complaint, of whatever nature, about the behaviour of another student, employee or part of the organisation. This contact is confidential and may also occur anonymously. The ombudsofficer will in the first instance strive for an informal solution to the problem with the aim of avoiding a formal (complaints) procedure, by means of consultation, providing information, onward referral where necessary or mediation.
- can make recommendations, refer, mediate, investigate and take decisions;
- a meeting is confidential and may be conducted anonymously.
- if a consultation does not provide a solution, then mediation by the ombudsperson between the parties involved is an option.
- is independent, impartial and has the authority to conduct investigations;
- the ombudsperson has a role in identifying problems and may conduct an investigation on their own initiative into possible structural problems in (staff) policy and/or its implementation, whether or not in response to reports.
- is not authorised to act in a matter that is before the courts or on which a court ruling has been handed down.
- Is not authorised to investigate a complaint where a formal complaints procedure has been otherwise arranged.