Are you an innovative thinker with a commitment to excellence in research and teaching? Then apply and join us as an Assistant Professor at Radboud University. Within a multidisciplinary environment, you will play your part in research on typical and atypical development from (early) childhood to (young) adulthood.
We are looking for an assistant professor with a background in developmental psychopathology or pedagogy or a closely related field (e.g. psychology, health sciences or behavioural sciences) who will contribute to our current research and teaching. The position will involve an equal division between research and teaching duties. Our research programme, which is embedded in the Behavioural Science Institute, includes both fundamental and applied research on psychopathology and well-being from infancy to adulthood, focusing on development in context (e.g. environments such as family, school or youth care and social connections such as parents, peers or professionals). Our core topics include internalising factors (such as loneliness, mood, anxiety and trauma) as well as externalising factors (including criminal behaviour, personality traits, conduct disorders, substance use (disorders), eating behaviour and general lifestyle behaviours). We employ a multi-method approach, including longitudinal surveys, experience sampling methods, experiments, hormonal measurements, DNA samples, fMRI, EEG and observations. We will expect you to build or extend your own research line and to connect with researchers and research lines within our department and across other groups. Our scientific ambition is to conduct rigorous research; we are committed to open science and embrace pre-registration and data sharing. We also want our work to have a positive impact on society. Therefore, we collaborate closely with several youth care institutions, addiction care institutions, municipalities, the police, and juvenile prisoners. You will contribute to our scientific output and the international visibility of our programme through publications, presentations and other media. You will write grant applications together with others in our group with a view to generating funding for all. You are committed to open science and scientific integrity.
We teach students of Pedagogical and Educational Sciences about typical and atypical development from childhood to adulthood and the complex situations that may arise when there are problems in development, and how to handle these situations and provide help in practice. We aim to establish strong links between science and pedagogical and educational practice. Your teaching experience and interests should align with the mission of the teaching institute. You will contribute to both introductory and more specialist courses in our undergraduate/graduate Pedagogical and Educational Sciences curriculum and supervise students during their internships and thesis research. You will also contribute to the Research Master's programme in Behavioural Science.
You will also participate in management tasks, including committee memberships, programme evaluations, search committees, and recruitment activities.
Assistant Professor of Developmental Psychopathology and Pedagogy
- 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 4,814 - € 6,181
- Required background
- Research University Degree
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Application deadline
- You should hold a PhD degree in social science and have some postdoctoral experience in developmental psychopathology, pedagogy or a related field.
- You have a good track record in social scientific research, as evidenced by, for instance, publications in reputable international scientific journals or grants or fellowships.
- You are familiar with advanced quantitative and/or qualitative research methods and statistical techniques.
- You have experience with various forms of teaching (such as lecturing, workgroup supervision, and thesis supervision at the Bachelor's and Master's levels) and course coordination. You are able to motivate and engage students in research and teaching.
- You have a university teaching qualification (UTQ) or the willingness to obtain this certificate within two years.
- You are committed to open science and scientific integrity.
- You are a team player and have good social, communication and organisational skills.
- You have experience with communicating or implementing the results of scientific research to professional practice, clinical practice and society.
- You have an excellent command of the Dutch language (or the willingness to acquire sufficient proficiency within two years) and an excellent command of spoken and written English, preferably at Cambridge Proficiency level C1.
- You are willing to participate in management tasks.
- You have an academic attitude that is consistent with the mission statements of the teaching institute, research institute and Radboud University in general.
We areThis position is in the Developmental Psychopathology research programme of the Behavioural Science Institute and the teaching institute of Pedagogical and Educational Sciences (in Dutch: Pedagogische Wetenschappen en Onderwijswetenschappen, PWO), both part of the Faculty of Social Sciences at Radboud University.
The Faculty of Social Sciences is the largest faculty at Radboud University. The Faculty's ambition is to become one of the top social science institutes in Europe, providing high-quality research and study programmes that rank among the best in the Netherlands.
The teaching institute of Pedagogical and Educational Sciences currently has approximately 1,700 students. The study programmes focus on questions concerning upbringing, education, learning and typical and atypical development of children and adults. The institute aims to establish strong links between science and pedagogical and educational practice (training scientist-practitioners). The programmes have often been assessed as 'excellent' by students.
The Behavioural Science Institute (BSI) is a multidisciplinary research institute and one of three research institutes of the Faculty of Social Sciences at Radboud University. Our researchers collaborate across the boundaries of psychology, educational science, and communication science. Our mission is to strengthen people through understanding the foundations of human behaviour, by creating synergy between different paradigms and by facilitating craftsmanship, curiosity and connection in academic research.
BSI has seven research programmes covering three major research themes, namely human development, connection and health. BSI conducts fundamental as well as applied/translational research and has excellent facilities and support for lab and field research. Moreover, BSI is known for its successful graduate school and strong commitment to open science.
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €4.814 and a maximum of €6.181 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 12).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1 year, with the possibility of a permanent employment.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditionsWork and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?For questions about the position, please contact Jacqueline Vink, Professor at Faculty of Social Sciences at jacqueline.vink [at] ru.nl.
Practical information and applyingYou can apply until 09 June 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Jacqueline Vink. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
- Two representative publications.
- Teaching evaluations of two recent courses.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Prof. Vink, J.M. (Jacqueline)Professor
jacqueline.vink [at] ru.nl