As Neurophysiology Lab Technician you will be responsible for the preparation of organotypic hippocampal slice cultures and reinforce our collaborative research team at the Donders Centre for Neuroscience (DCN). You will perform and coordinate the preparation and maintenance of mouse hippocampal slice cultures in close collaboration with the research team. In addition, you will be involved in the design and production of lentiviral and AAV viral vectors for gene transfer in brain slices, cultured cells, organoids or rodent models, as well as in other molecular biology approaches. You will independently prepare and perform experimental work in a safe and effective manner using state-of-the-art protocols. You will also assist and advice other users at DCN. You will help write protocols whenever new techniques are applied. You will take an active attitude in interpreting, analysing and reporting the results of experiments and you will take care of the laboratory equipment used. Furthermore, you will fulfil different team roles and ensure accurate completion of documentation (laboratory notebooks and logs). Finally, you will be involved in the ordering of consumable supplies and in biosafety management.
Neurophysiology Lab Technician
- 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,818 - € 3,764
- Required background
- University of Applied Sciences Degree
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Science
- Application deadline
Are you a team-oriented lab technician with an interest in neurobiology? And would you like to learn and work in multidisciplinary teams in an innovative laboratory environment? Join the lively and interactive culture of the world-class Donders Institute and work towards understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of the human mind with your expertise.
- You are a highly motivated, enthusiastic, critical, creative and team-oriented individual with a particular interest in neurobiology and a positive can-do attitude.
- You are a professional in the area of life sciences, biology, biomedical sciences or a related discipline with a higher professional (HBO) or Master education.
- Preferably, you have at least two years of experience in neurophysiology.
- Working experience with preparing brain slices and virus production is a plus.
- Experience with data management is an advantage, as well as knowledge of microscopy.
- We are a dynamic international institute, so a good command of English is essential.
- We are looking for people with plenty of initiative, who like to learn and work in multidisciplinary teams in an innovative laboratory environment.
We areThe Donders Centre for Neuroscience (DCN) is one of the six research institutes of the Faculty of Science at Radboud University (Nijmegen, Netherlands). The main aim of DCN is to understand the complex neural networks underlying perceptual, motor and cognitive brain functions. We study these networks by employing experimental as well as computational approaches.
DCN is part of the world-renowned Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, a world-class interfaculty neuroscience institute with a lively and interactive culture housing more than 800 researchers devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of the human mind.
Excellent, state-of-the-art research facilities are available for the broad range of neuroscience research that is being conducted at the Donders Institute. The Donders Institute has been assessed by an international evaluation committee as 'excellent' and recognised as a 'very stimulating environment for top researchers, as well as for young talent'. The Donders Institute fosters a collaborative, multidisciplinary, supportive research environment with a diverse international staff. English is the lingua franca at the Institute.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,818 and a maximum of €3,764 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 8).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment of one year. After a year, an evaluation will take place and the contract may be converted into a permanent one.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditionsWork and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?For questions about the position, please contact Prof. dr Corette Wierenga, Professor of Neurophysiology at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 9 October 2022, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to prof. dr Corette Wierenga. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV, including the contact details of at least two references.
You would preferably begin employment as soon as possible.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.