Are you an enthusiastic statistician or bioinformatician who is looking for a new project into statistical bioinformatics? Then contribute to the development and implementation of statistical models for gene-based networks as a postdoc. You will work in a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, where you can put your ideas to the test and push your boundaries as a scientist.Gene-based networks can be extracted from genomic or bioinformatics data bases or can be estimated using omics datasets such as proteomics and transcriptomics. The availability of information from various sources raises the question whether the information in these datasets is complementary or wholly or partly redundant and how to summarize it. To overcome these challenges, researchers on the project will introduce a statistical model for gene-based networks, design an estimation procedure, and investigate its properties.
Postdoctoral Researcher in Statistical Bioinformatics
- 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,960 - € 4,670
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Science
- Application deadline
- You hold a PhD degree in statistics or bioinformatics with a strong statistical background, or you are on track to obtain one before the start of the project.
- You may have experience in omics research and network methods.
- You are an enthusiastic statistician or bioinformatician and are eager to contribute to the research project.
- You have experience in scientific programming in R or a similar language.
- You are able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- You are able to collaborate on international, cross-disciplinary projects.
- You have a good proficiency in English.
We areThe Department of Mathematics at Radboud University (Nijmegen, Netherlands) is part of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics, and Particle Physics in the Faculty of Science. The Department represents a broad range of research fields, including pure and applied analysis, mathematical physics, probabilities and statistics. The Statistics Group collaborates with several national and international bioinformatics and statistical bioinformatics groups.
The Department of Mathematics has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We organise regular research seminars, have a range of specialist lectures and visitors to the department as well as a number of informal events throughout the year.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,960 and a maximum of €4,670 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 10).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 2 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditionsWork and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?For questions about the position, please contact Jeanine Houwing-Duistermaat, Professor at jeanine.duistermaat [at] ru.nl.
Practical information and applyingYou can apply until 27 March 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Jeanine Houwing-Duistermaat. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A motivation letter.
- Your CV, including the contact details of two references.
- An academic transcript of your MSc degree stating all courses taken and grades obtained.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.