Radboud University

Visa and residence permit

Depending on your nationality and the length of your stay, you may need a visa and/or residence permit to enter the Netherlands and study at Radboud University. Radboud University has signed an agreement with the IND, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service, and therefore Student Admissions of Radboud University has to submit your Provisional Residence Permit (Machtiging Voorlopig Verblijf = MVV) and/or Residence Permit (Verblijfsvergunning Regulier = VVR) application on your behalf.

What is an MVV?

An MVV is an entry visa or so-called Provisional Residence permit. It is a sticker which is placed in your passport at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your own country (or the country in which you legally reside). The MVV is valid for three months. You must apply for it before arrival. Radboud University will assist you with your application and file the application with the IND on your behalf. visum 3

What is a residence permit?

A residence permit is a card which proves that you are legally residing in the Netherlands. Radboud University will also assist you with the application for a residence permit before your arrival. This card is provided to you after arrival in The Netherlands. The residence permit is valid for the duration of your studies. If your stay in the Netherlands will be longer than your intended study period, you will have to obtain an extension of your residence permit.

visa residence permit

Visa and Residence permit application

Radboud University will start the preparations for your visa as soon as you have been admitted and have sent in the required application and enrolment documents.  Student Admissions will then contact you and send you information about the application procedures for your MVV and/or VVR. Information about documents that need to be uploaded for your visa application and fees to be paid (visa and insurance) will then also be sent to you. Radboud University cannot apply for visa for family members.
The deadlines for sending in enrollment documents are 1 June (September intake) and 1 December (February intake), but we strongly recommend to hand in documents earlier.

To find out which documents you need, please check in which of the 4 groups your nationality is listed and click on the link for more detailed information

  • Group I
    Citizens from EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
  • Group II
    Citizens from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and Vatican City State.
  • Group III
    Citizens from Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bosnia, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Colombia, Commonwealth of Dominica, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Georgia, Guatemala, Grenada, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Montenegro, Nicaragua, North Macedonia, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Taiwan, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Venezuela.
  • Group IV
    Citizens from all other countries.

Validity residence permit

The residence permit is in principle valid for the duration of your study. There are however certain conditions for degree Bachelor's and (Pre)Master's students.

Study progress degree Bachelor's and Master's students

In order to retain your residence permit, your educational progress must be adequate. As a degree Bachelor’s or Master’s student, you must attain at least half of the number of study points per study year. Radboud University will check this at the end of every study year and will also ask you for a proof of living expenses for the next study year. If your progress is inadequate, the IND can withdraw your residence permit.

If you undertake temporary study stays abroad (inside or outside the EU) during your study period at Radboud University, this study progress requirement remains applicable.

If you are experiencing problems with your study progress, please contact a study advisor as soon as possible.

Study progress Pre-Master’s students

The IND applies specific rules for Pre-Master’s students: a Pre-Master’s is considered by the IND to be a preparatory study. For this programme students need to complete all subjects within the nominal duration of the programme (i.e. all study points/credits). A residence permit for a preparatory study cannot be extended.

Extension residence permit

If your stay in the Netherlands will be longer than your intended study period, you will have to obtain an extension of your residence permit. Please contact the visa team of Student Admissions (visa@io.ru.nl) for more information as they will have to apply for the extension. The fee for an extension is 207 Euro (subject to change). You will have to upload several documents in OSIRIS to apply for an extension. Student Admissions will support you with this application. Please note that no extension is possible for a preparatory study (Pre-Master’s programme).

After your studies

Leaving the Netherlands

When you are leaving the Netherlands for good, you have to deregister with the local municipality of the city where you live in the Netherlands. The visa team of Student Admissions must notify the IND of your departure. You are obliged to return your residence permit to the IND. You can return your residence permit at one of the front offices of the IND or send it to:
Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst
Bureau Documenten
PO Box 7025, 8007 HA Zwolle

Orientation / Search year

The Dutch government decided to improve the already existing orientation year scheme (also known as Search Year) in order to strengthen the competitive position and knowledge-based economy. Students can therefore apply for an orientation year after their graduation. Since the 1st of March 2016, new rules apply facilitating a career start for international talent in the Netherlands. You can apply for this orientation year yourself.

Covid 19 update concerning orientation / search year

In April 2020 a group of international graduates started a petition to extend the search year to accommodate the decline in vacancies and networking opportunity. In a written response to questions from the Dutch Parliament Minister Koolmees for Social Affairs and Employment explains that it is not possible to extend the search year as the conditions for this residence permit are entrenched in law, and changing them is an uncertain and lengthy process. However, because the government values the contribution of international students and highly skilled migrants greatly, they decided to extend the period for which graduates are eligible for a highly skilled migrant residence permit with a lower salary criterium.

In this flyer (pdf, 532 kB) you can find more information about the search year and other residence permit that can facilitate your stay in the Netherlands after graduation.

Regular information concerning Orientation/search year

Orientation year Bachelor’s and Master’s graduates
Work in Holland
After your studies

Information sources

A guide to Dutch immigration laws for international students is available on the Study in Holland website. The guide is intended for international students and student-trainees wishing to study or to do an internship in the Netherlands. The guide describes the procedures for obtaining a short stay visa, a Provisional Residence Permit and a residence permit.

As immigration regulations are subject to frequent change, it is also wise to check with the Netherlands Embassy in your home country to find out what the latest regulations and visa types are. If there is no Royal Netherlands Embassy or Dutch Consulate in your country, contact the nearest Embassy that represents the Netherlands in your home country.

For more information

Please read the IND brochure (pdf, 449 kB)

or contact:

T. +31-24-3612345
E. visa@io.ru.nl

Make an appointment with the visa team

Local Administration