Radboud University

Frequently Asked Questions






How can I apply?

In order to apply for a study programme at Radboud University, you can go to Studielink and submit a request for enrolment. Then you will receive log in details for our online application system Osiris, where you will upload your application documents, such as your diploma and your transcript of grades. Then, your application will be assessed and you will hear as soon as possible whether or not you can be (conditionally) admitted to the study programme.

I am Dutch, but I have obtained my previous degree outside of the Netherlands. How do I apply?

All students who have obtained their previous degree outside of the Netherlands apply via our online system Osiris.

I have obtained my previous degree in the Netherlands. How do I apply?

If you wish to apply on the basis of a Dutch diploma, you also have to submit a request for enrolment in Studielink, but you will not receive log in details for Osiris. For more information on how to apply with a Dutch diploma, you can contact our Central Student Desk: balie@ru.nl

I'm unable to log onto Osiris to fill out my application. What do I do?

Please send us an email explaining your problem in further detail. You are kindly requested to add a print screen of the error you receive. You can contact us at: admissions@ru.nl

Is it possible to apply for more than one study programme at the same time?

Yes, you can apply for more than one study programme. Per programme you need to submit a new application in Studielink and (if applicable) Osiris. Please note that you can only submit up to four applications in Studielink.

Until when can I apply?

The application deadline for non-EEA students is 1 April, and 1 May for EEA students.

Some Master’s programmes offer a February start. The application deadline for the February start is 1 November for non-EEA students, and 1 December for EEA students. To see whether or not the Master's Programme of your choice has a February start, please click on your programme in the following overview of English-taught Master's programmes.

If you are applying for a Bachelor’s programme with a Selection & Placement procedure, the deadline for submitting your application in Studielink is 15 January.

Is there a possibility to apply for a study programme after these deadlines?

For EEA students: Your application will still be considered. However, we cannot guarantee that the International Office can still advise or assist you in finding accommodation in Nijmegen.  
For non-EEA students: After the deadline we cannot guarantee that your application will still be considered, and we cannot guarantee arrangement of housing, visa and residence permit before the start of the Master's Programme. After this date, non-EEA students cannot apply anymore due to the duration of the visa procedure.

Am I eligible for this study programme with my educational background?

Unfortunately we are unable to tell you beforehand whether or not you are eligible. We advise you to submit a full application so your specific previous qualifications can be carefully assessed before coming to a decision.

Can I apply without having obtained my diploma?

You are welcome to apply without a diploma, but if you are conditionally admitted, you are kindly requested to send us a legally certified hard copy of the diploma on the basis of which you have been admitted (along with a translation, if not already in English, Dutch, or German) before the enrolment deadline.

I have trouble applying, or I have not heard anything about my application in a while. What should I do?

The application process approximately takes 6-8 weeks. If you have any questions about your application, please contact the Admission Office via e-mail: admissions@ru.nl or you can call us at (+31)24-3623456.

What does the transcript of records include?

The transcript of grades includes a list of courses that you have completed during your previous education programme and the grades you have obtained for them. You are requested to upload a scan of an original or legally certified copy of your transcript of records (along with an official translation in English, if not already in English, Dutch, or German) for your application in Osiris in order for the Board of Examiners to gain a better insight in your academic capabilities and results so far.

What are the language requirements of the study programme of my choice?

Please see the overview of our English-taught Bachelor’s programmes or the overview of our English-taught Master's programmes and go to the webpage of the study programme of your interest for the specific language requirements.

Then, choose "admission requirements" in the bar on the left. On that page, you will find the specific language requirements for your study programme.

Can I apply without a sufficient English language certificate?

You are welcome to apply without a sufficient English language certificate (except for the Master's programmes in Biomedical Sciences and Molecular Mechanisms of Disease). However, please note that an English language proficiency certificate will be required for your enrolment (unless you have been exempt, see below). If you are admitted, you will be asked to submit your certificate before the enrolment deadline. For the two exceptions above, you must submit an accepted English certificate at the time of application.

Can I be exempt from taking the English test?

In case you would like to request exemption from the English test, please indicate this in your motivation letter. If you are admitted to the study programme, the Board of Examiners will decide whether or not you are required to submit a language certificate before the enrolment deadline.

Some students are already automatically exempt from having to submit an English language test based on their nationality or previous education. To see if you can be exempt, please check the admission requirements on the website of the study programme of your interest.

I have passed an IELTS/TOEFL/Cambridge (CAE/CPE) test some time ago. Do I need to do the test again?

Both the TOEFL and IELTS are valid for two years. The test results must be valid at the date of the start of the study programme.

A Cambridge certificate (CAE or CPE) is valid for a lifetime.

Can my English test scores be sent to you directly from the institution or can they be verified online?

TOEFL can send your test results to Radboud University directly. Our institutional code for TOEFL is: 3387. Your IELTS test score can be verified online by Radboud University. If you want us to do so, you can fill out your TRF (Test Report Form) number in Osiris or send it to us by email. Your Cambridge test score can also be verified online. Please fill out your ID number (3 letters and 6 digits) and your secret number (4 digits) in Osiris, or send them to us by email.

How do I pay the handling fee?

The handling fee can be paid by direct bank transfer, credit card, or iDeal. Please see the handling fee page for more information on how to pay the handling fee.

Will you refund the handling fee?

In case of admission and full enrolment, we will repay the entire amount. Once you are enrolled, you will receive an email from us with more information about the refund. Unfortunately, Radboud University will not refund the handling fee if you are not admitted to the study programme or if your application is withdrawn.

How much tuition fee should I pay?

You can check the tuition fee that applies to you on our website.

What does "conditionally admitted" mean?

If your status is "conditionally admitted," it means that you have been approved by the Board of Examiners and accepted to the study programme. However, before you can be fully enrolled as a student, you need to send us legally certified hard copies of your documents. Which documents you need to provide to fulfill the condition of your admittance will be detailed in your admission email.

Which documents should I send you? / What conditions should I meet after receiving my conditional admission letter?

In order to further complete your enrolment after you receive your conditional admission letter, you need to send us legally certified hard copies of your documents. This includes an original or legally certified hard copy of your English language certificate (in case we have not been able to verify it online), and a legally certified hard copy of the diploma on basis of which you have been admitted to the study programme, along with a sworn translation if not already in Dutch, English or German. Lastly, you will also be requested to send us a legally certified hard copy of your passport (or ID card for EEA students) for further enrolment.

What if I cannot send you a legally certified hard copy of my diploma because I have not received it yet?

If you have obtained your diploma within the past six months, but have not received it yet and will not receive it before our enrolment deadline, please have your university fill out the "proof of diploma" form and send us (a legally certified copy of) this form.

What does "legally certified" mean?

A legally certified copy is a photocopy with an endorsement or stamp that states that it is a true copy of the primary document. You can certify the copies of your documents at your university or at the municipality or notary. The Student Desk of Radboud University (Houtlaan 4, open every work day between 10.00-17.00) can also certify the copies of your documents free of charge.

What is the deadline for submitting the official documents for enrolment?

For non-EEA students the enrolment deadline for sending the required certified documents is 1 June. For EEA students the deadline is 15 August. For the February start, the enrolment deadline is 1 December for non-EEA students and 15 January for EEA students.

To which address should I send my legally certified documents and my English proficiency test after I have been conditionally admitted?

Radboud University Nijmegen 
Admissions Office
Postbus 9102 
6500 HC Nijmegen 
The Netherlands

If you send your application form and documents via a courier service and they require a visiting address to deliver the package, please send it to:

Radboud University Nijmegen 
Admissions Office
Houtlaan 4
6525 XZ Nijmegen
The Netherlands

When can I expect my unconditional admission letter?

We generally do not send unconditional letters. If you do require one, for example because of a scholarship application, please send us an email and we will send you one as soon as possible, provided that you have met the conditions.

Do I need a visa and/or residence permit, and how do I apply for a one?

Depending on your nationality and length of your stay, you may need a visa and/or residence permit. Radboud University has signed an agreement with the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service). Radboud University (i.e. the International Office) therefore has to submit your MVV and/or residence permit application on your behalf.

Please note that you need to submit your application before the application deadline for non-EEA students and send us the required certified documents before the enrolment deadline for non-EEA students in order to allow our International Office sufficient time to assist you in the visa procedure.
Please see the visa and residence permit page on our website for more information.

What are the Pre-arrival Services for Master’s students?

The Pre-arrival services is a service provided by International Office of Radboud University for international students who are enrolling in a Master's Programme. This online package includes support with visa and housing, and social activities. We offer these unique services because we realise that it is not easy for you to arrange everything from your home country and we want to make your stay abroad as pleasant as possible!

How can I receive this service package?

In order to facilitate your application for the service package, Radboud University has integrated it in the digital application system on Osiris. During your application for admission to a Master's programme, you will be asked some questions concerning the service package. For example, here, you can indicate whether you want the assistance of the International Office and indicate whether you want to join us for the Orientation

Can I get a scholarship for a Master’s programme?

There are a variety of scholarships available for international students at Radboud University Nijmegen. Please consult our scholarship webpage on our website to see which ones may be available to you and how to apply for them.