Radboud University

Are you Fit to Study?

Living and Studying in another country is exciting and fun, but also brings its challenges. It is therefore important that you keep a few things in mind before you start your studies at Radboud University.

Study skills and student support

Studying in an international country is more than applying for a particular university and meeting the necessary requirements. It’s also about the ability to study in foreign conditions.

Dutch universities rely heavily on a student’s ability to manage their own affairs. Most international students consider the amount they need to study and the pace of courses quite high in the Netherlands. Our teaching staff will tell you what to learn and which assignment you need to do, but it’s up to the students to make their own choices in organizing your time effectively and to develop adequate strategies to cover the necessary material quickly and competently. This requires a large degree of self-confidence and self-reliance from you as a student.

For those students who are quite self-reliant but can do with a little extra help, we offer some workshops and self-help courses.

Study progress

Binding study advice
After the first year of your studies, Bachelor students receive a ‘Binding Study Advice’ (BSA). This will determine whether you are allowed to progress to the second year of your study programme.
You will only receive a positive BSA if you have accumulated a minimum of 39 or 45 ECTS-credits out of the total 60 ECTS-credits in your first year. The exact minimum number depends on your study programme. ECTS is the European Credit Transfer System for study programmes. In this system 1 ECTS- credit equals 28 hours of studying in the Netherlands.
Failure to meet the minimum ECTS score in your first year will result in a negative BSA. This means that you will have to discontinue your studies and will not be allowed to enrol in the same study programme again within the next three years.
During your first year, student counsellors and lecturers will be on hand to help and support you in your studies and to ensure that you make sufficient study progress.

Study progress requirements for residence permit holders
Students studying at Radboud University with a residence permit for study purposes should also take the immigration regulations for study progress into account.

The residence permit is in principle valid for the duration of your study. There are however certain conditions for degree Bachelor's and (pre)Master's students.

Study progress degree Bachelor and Master students
In order to retain your residence permit, your educational progress must be adequate. As a degree Bachelor or Master student, you must attain at least half of the number of study points per study year. Radboud University will check this at the end of every study year and will also ask you for a proof of living expenses for the next study year. If your progress is inadequate, the IND can withdraw your residence permit.
If you undertake temporary study stays abroad (within or outside the EU) during your study period at Radboud University, this study progress requirement remains applicable.
If you are experiencing problems with your study progress, please contact a study advisor as soon as possible.

Study progress Pre-Master students
The IND applies specific rules for Pre-Master students: a Pre-Master is considered to be a preparatory study. For this programme students need to complete all subjects within the nominal duration of the programme (i.e. all study points/credits). A residence permit for a preparatory study cannot be extended.

Tips for a successful start

How to feel at home quickly

  • Join the Radboud Orientation Week
  • Read the study information guide
  • Join one of the (programme related) study associations and meet like-minded people
  • Follow a (free) course in social Dutch at the Radboud Language Centre
  • Join the ESN network Nijmegen activities organised by and for international students
  • Join the Radboud International Students (RIS) activities and like their facebook page
  • Work out individually or in groups at the Radboud Sports Centre. For just over €100 per year you can join the best university sports centre in the world, 7 days a week
  • If you like, join activities at the student Chaplaincy for (international) students

Join social networks

Starting life in a new country can be daunting and sometimes lonely. However, it has been found that being part of a social network is not only fun, but also helps you to feel at home more quickly and to give you support if you need it.

We therefore highly recommend that you join our orientation programme, which is held just before your course starts. By participating in this programme, you will not only quickly get to know both Nijmegen and Radboud University, but you will also make new friends from all around the world at the same time!


Although the chances of accidents happening are small, they may happen. Therefore, you need to be properly insured whilst living in the Netherlands. International students who study in the Netherlands as exchange or degree seeking student need to have three insurances:
- Health insurance
- Travel insurance
- Legal Liability insurance
You are required to have appropriate health insurance when staying in the Netherlands. This is defined by law. It is strongly recommended that you have appropriate liability and travel insurance as well. Radboud University offers you an insurance package in cooperation with Aon Student Insurances. For more information check www.ru.nl/insurances.

EU/EEA nationals
If you come from an EU/EEA country, please make sure to ask your insurer whether you can use the insurance from your home country in the Netherlands. Please check which aid is covered while studying in the Netherlands (medical, psychological, etc.) and consider whether this will be sufficient to cover your needs, or whether you need additional coverage. Check for instance if:
- you had any medical or psychological expenses in the last three years? Did your insurance cover these sufficiently?
- there are any pre-existing medical or psychological conditions for which you need to make specific arrangements or precautions upon your arrival in the Netherlands?

Then check if you apply for an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) or ask us what kind of private insurance we can arrange for you. Please note that the terms and conditions of the EHIC card vary per country and this might mean that your EHIC card is not valid for your whole study period or may not apply to you. Please check carefully whether additional private insurance, like the Aon Student Insurance, is necessary.

If you are an EU/EEA national, but do not currently live in the EU/EEA, Radboud University has arranged that you can take out private health insurance via the University in cooperation Aon insurances. Please ask us what is included. Whether or not you arrange it via us, you need to be insured while you stay in the Netherlands.

If you are a non-EU/EEA national and do not live in the EU/EEA, you have to take out private insurance with an insurance company via Radboud University. This will be arranged during the visa procedure.

If you wish to receive information about the Aon private insurance, please contact us at visa@io.ru.nl

Financial means and working as a student

Make sure you have enough financial means to cover your time in the Netherlands, before you start your studies. Even though all students are allowed to work in the Netherlands, we would advise you not to rely on finding a job in the Netherlands as a way of funding your life and studies in Nijmegen.

All our study programmes are intensive, so you need to dive straight in and get started. This is the best way to keep up and to finish successfully. And that way you will also have time left to enjoy your new life, to explore your new environment and to join in social activities.

If you plan to study with a scholarship, grant or funding, perhaps from your own government, please take a good look at the terms and conditions: what is the duration and what costs are covered? If you need an extra year to finish your studies, will it be covered or do you have enough money to finish your studies? These are important issues to take into account before your arrival in the Netherlands in order to secure sufficient financial means.


Radboud University does its best to assist in finding student housing for international students who come to study in Nijmegen, provided they apply before the deadline. Most student rooms are close to the University and can easily be reached by bus or bicycle. Room contracts are for one year only (first year of study) and rooms are furnished. In most cases you need to provide your own bedding and towels. A furnished room with shared facilities will cost you between €375 and €550 per calendar month.

Visa and residence permit (if applicable)

Depending on your nationality and the length of your stay, you may need an entry visa and/or a residence permit to be able to study in the Netherlands. The Admissions Office of Radboud University has signed an agreement with the Immigration and Naturalisation Service, and therefore has to submit your Provisional Residence Permit and/or Residence Permit application on your behalf. However, it is your responsibility to submit all supporting documents to the Admissions office before the communicated deadline.