Radboud University

Registration as a Dutch resident

In Dutch: Registreren

Anyone living in the Netherlands for more than 4 months is required to register as a resident with their local municipality. This is the case if you are a Dutch national but also if you have a different nationality. As soon as you have a residence address, you can register with the municipality you live in. If you stay in temporary accommodation, such as an Airbnb or with friends, please make sure they allow you to register at their address.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

In Dutch: Burger Service Nummer (BSN)

First-time residents in the Netherlands will be issued a Citizen Service Number (BSN) upon their registration. This is a personal identification number used by the government, healthcare organizations, educational institutions, the Tax Authority (in Dutch: Belastingdienst) etc.

When arriving in the Netherlands, you will need a BSN number for:

  • Radboud's Salary Department, who cannot make any payments without a BSN number and IBAN bank account;
  • your bank, in order to open a Dutch bank account,
  • other official authorities.

It is important to acquire a BSN as quickly as possible, in order to avoid any delays in your salary payments. Read more on the Citizen Service Number.

City Hall

RU GroteMarktIn Dutch: Gemeentehuis / Stadswinkel

In your local municipality, you register at City Hall. In Nijmegen, this would be the Stadwinkel, Mariënburg 30, Nijmegen. You go there by appointment.

By registering you will be entered into the Municipal Administration (in Dutch: Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie, GBA), a national registration system. You are obligated to update your registration when you move and thereby change your residence within the Netherlands and also to unregister when you leave the Netherlands.

Check your personal circumstances

  • Did you apply for a residence permit from abroad, e.g. because you have a non-EU nationality?
    You will have received a letter from the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service) in Den Bosch ('s-Hertogenbosch), confirming the procedure. Bring this letter to the Stadswinkel appointment, as proof that the IND is working on your residence permit. After registering with your local municipality, you will receive an invitation from the IND to either take your biometric info, or to pick up your residence permit.

  • Will you be staying in the Netherlands over 4 months?
    Register at the local municipality within 5 days of arrival.

  • Will you be staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months?
    You are not required to register as a Nijmegen resident. However, you probably still require a BSN for your salary payments and other purposes mentioned above. In this case, you should apply for a non-resident registration (in Dutch: Registratie niet-ingezetenen, RNI) at the municipality.

  • Are you moving your family with you?
    Kids on campus dayYou and all family members need be present in person to register at the municipality. You will all get your own BSN number.
    Bring the following documents to your appointment:
    • a valid passport for all family members;
    • a copy of your rental contract or home purchase contract, or,
    • if you are living with someone else or living in sublet accommodation: a copy of the main occupant’s (in Dutch: hoofdbewoner's) ID and a completed Proof of Occupancy (in Dutch: verklaring instemming medebewoning) signed by the main occupant;
    • for EU citizens: birth certificates for all members of the family, and a marriage ceritificate if applicable;
    • for non-EU citizens: apostilled (see below) birth certificates for all family members, and an apostilled marriage certificate if applicable.

An apostille is an internationally recognized form of legalizing official documents. It is necessary for governments of other countries to recognize the documents as genuine. The apostille process is usually an additional step after requesting official documents and is best done in your home country.

Please note that obtaining original documents and apostilles may take some time.

Informing your HR officer

Once you have registered at the municipality and have acquired your BSN number please, send a copy of the official letter to your HR officer right away, together with your Dutch bank account number. If you do this in time, they can complete the employment process and enable your salary payment for the first month.

  • Radboud University:
    Radboud campus, Dual Career, Family Support
  • Covid-19:
    Lockdown, Corona measures, Travelling, The situation at Radboud, Testing and vaccinations, Self-quarantine
  • Preparing for arrival:
    Immigration, visa and permits, Housing, Relocation and moving expenses
  • After arrival
    Registration and BSN, Banking, ATM's and bank cards, DigiD, Mobile phoning and SIM cards, Insurance
  • Living in the Netherlands
    Health, Family, Emergencies, At home, Transport, Taxes, and more