Radboud University

Immigration, visa and permits

Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to enter the Netherlands, a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands or a work permit to work here. At Radboud University, your HR officer / personnel officer will handle your visa and residence permit applications. Please consult the list of HR officers to find the right person for your institute or department.

Radboud's HR officers use the VisaCare online platform to collect application documents and submit your application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The VisaCare platform will guide you through the different stages of the application process. Please note that this procedure needs to be started early, as it can take up to three months before you receive your visa or permit.

If any family members will join you in the Netherlands, please inform your HR officer so they can include their application in the procedure.


In Dutch: Paspoort

First of all, make sure you and all your family members have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after arriving in the Netherlands.


In Dutch: Visum

Please check whether you need a visa to enter the Netherlands. You can do this together with your HR officer. To give you an idea:

  1. If you are a national of an EU country, an EER country or Switzerland, you do not require a visa.
  2. If you don't belong to group 1 and intend to stay in the Netherlands for less than 90 days, please consult the IND's list of nationalities that do not require a short-stay visa. If you're not on the list, you will need to apply for a short-stay visa.
  3. If you don't belong to group 1 and 2 and plan to come and work in the Netherlands for over 90 days, you will need a long-stay visa (MVV) to enter the country.

Please note that regardless of what group you belong to, if you have a Schengen visa you are allowed to travel between Schengen countries in Europe. You can stay in another Schengen country for a maximum of three months within a six-month period. Read more on Travel in the Schengen area.

Waal bridge

Residence permit

In Dutch: verblijfsvergunning

If you belong group 3 described under the heading 'Visa' above and intend to stay  in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you will also require a residence permit.

Work permit

In Dutch: werkvergunning

When you come to work in the Netherlands you may require a work permit. The following groups are exempt:

  • If you are a national of an EU country, an EER country or Switzerland, you do not require a work permit.
  • If you qualify as a 'highly skilled migrant' (see below), you do not require a work permit.

Highly skilled migrants

In Dutch: kennismigrant

In most cases, international Radboud University researchers, students and certain other employees are regarded as 'highly skilled migrants'. More information about the classification as 'highly skilled migrant' and the special advantages of this position can be found on the website of the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Services).

Special case: residing in Germany

Please be aware that if you decide to have your residence in Germany instead of the Netherlands, there could be consequences for your application procedure. Visit the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) for more information about this subject and discuss your personal situation with your HR officer.

More information

If you want to know more about immigration requirements, consult the Guide to visas & permits in the Netherlands.

  • Radboud University:
    Radboud campus, Dual Career, Family Support
  • Covid-19:
    Lockdown, Corona measures, Travelling, The situation at Radboud, Testing and vaccinations, Self-quarantine
  • Preparing for arrival:
    Immigration, visa and permits, Housing, Relocation and moving expenses
  • After arrival
    Registration and BSN, Banking, ATM's and bank cards, DigiD, Mobile phoning and SIM cards, Insurance
  • Living in the Netherlands
    Health, Family, Emergencies, At home, Transport, Taxes, and more