Coming to Radboud and the Netherlands: Preparing for arrival

Checklist before arrival

Check which issues you need to take care of before travelling to the Netherlands and which documents to bring.


Immigration, visa and permits

Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to enter the Netherlands, a residence permit or a work permit.


Relocation and moving expenses

Under certain specific conditions you may be entitled to reimbursement of moving expenses and a refurbishment allowance.


The 30% tax ruling

As an international 'knowledge worker' from outside the Netherlands, you may be eligible for the 30% tax ruling, whereby Radboud University pays a tax-free allowance of 30% of your income for extraterritorial expenses.

The purpose of this favourable tax facility is to make working in the Netherlands more attractive to scientific researchers from all over the world.


The housing market in the Netherlands in general and Nijmegen in particular is tight, so we advise you to start looking at housing options well in advance.



We put together this information to help your transition to the Netherlands and start your life in Nijmegen. Even though we do our utmost to provide you with the right information and we check it from time to time, we cannot take responsibility for any of the information. Should you find any mistakes, please feel free to inform us by email.