Dr Asya Zhelyazkova
Beyond legal compliance with EU law
August 2016 to January 2018
Who is Asya Zhelyazkova?
Dr Asya Zhelyazkova currently works as a postdoctoral researcher at the European politics group at ETH Zurich (Switzerland). She completed a PhD in Sociology at Utrecht University, where she also finished her Master’s degree in Sociology and Social Research. Zhelyazkova’s research interests include the implementation of public policy, European Union governance, European integration and EU compliance, amongst other subjects. At Radboud University, she will work at the Europeanization of Policy and Law research group (EUROPAL).
What is her research project about?
The impact of the European Union on domestic politics and policies is a prominent issue in current societal and political discourse. Zhelyazkova’s project aims at a systematic analysis of the three consecutive stages of the European policy cycle, to fully understand the EU impact on national policy-making, First, the delegation of implementation powers to national executive institutions; second, the quality of implementation outcomes; and third, the quality and transparency of ex-post evaluation. The central ambition of her plan is to deepen our understanding of EU compliance.
Why was she nominated?
Professor Rob van der Heijden, Dean of the Nijmegen School of Management at Radboud University, nominated Asya Zhelyazkova. ‘The reasons for this nomination are a combination of her excellent research skills and track record on the one hand, and fruitful synergies with researchers at the Institute of Management Research on the other hand. Dr Zhelyazkova has realized a steady publication output in top journals in the field of European Union (EU) studies (...), reporting of original and innovative work on an important topic within EU studies: the compliance with EU law by its member states.’
During her Radboud Excellence fellowship
Dr Asya Zhelyazkova was a senior researcher at the School of Management of Radboud University Nijmegen from August 2016 to January 2018. In this time, she worked as part of the Europeanization of Policy and Law research group (EUROPAL).
Publications with Radboud University affiliation
- Zhelyazkova, A., Bølstad, J. and Meijers, M. J. (2019) “Understanding Responsiveness in European Union Politics: Introducing the Debate”. Journal of European Public Policy.
- Meijers, M. J., Schneider, C.J. and Zhelyazkova, A. (2019) “Dimensions of EU Input Responsiveness: Actors, Publics, Venues”. Journal of European Public Policy.
- Zhelyazkova, A., Kaya, C., & Schrama, R. (2017). Notified and substantive compliance with EU law in enlarged Europe: evidence from four policy areas. Journal of European Public Policy, 24(2), 216-238. doi: 1080/13501763.2016.1264084
- Zhelyazkova, A., Kaya, C., & Schrama, R. (2017). When Practice Goes beyond Legislators' Expectations: Analysis of Practical Implementation Exceeding Legal Compliance with EU Directives. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies. doi: 1111/jcms.12637
- Thomann, E., & Zhelyazkova, A. (2017). Moving beyond (non-)compliance: the customization of European Union policies in 27 countries. Journal of European Public Policy, 24(9), 1269-1288. doi: 1080/13501763.2017.1314536
Career after Radboud University
After her time in Nijmegen as part of the Radboud Excellence Initiative, Dr Asya Zhelyazkova has been working as Assistant Professor in European Politics and Public Policy at the Department of Public Administration and Sociology of Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Visit Asya's personal page