Most questions are related to studying abroad.

Before departure

During your stay

After your return

Before departure

I would like to go abroad. Where can I go?

If you want to go abroad for studies, a list of universities the Faculty of Arts has an agreement with can be found here. There are Erasmus+ agreements with universities within the EU and mostly bilateral agreements with universities in the rest of the world. You may also apply for a spot at one of our Radboud-wide partners. In total you can choose from other 250 universities, from the United States to South Korea.

Curious to learn more about other (common) options? Check our information on internships and summer programmes.

Another department has an agreement with the university I want to go to. Can I apply for a spot?

In principle you are free to apply, but it is recommended to find out more about the content of the agreement. For instance, it could well be that students going abroad on an English Language and Literature agreement are obligated to take literary courses. Moreover, students of the programme in question always take precedence.

What are the application deadlines?

Destinations outside Europe 1 February
Destinations within Europe 1 March*

*Students from German Language and Studies can apply until 9 September.

It is possible to apply after the deadlines has passed, but you will only be able to choose from spots that are still open at that point. Therefore we strongly recommend you to be on time.

At registration, which documents do I need to hand in?

Registration for study abroad is done through Osiris. You have to upload a motivation letter and may be required to upload a CV or a transcript of grades. Check this page for additional information.

The host university has a language requirement. What should I do?

Universities tend to ask for a proof of proficiency (usually B2 is the minimum requirement). An increasing number of universities require a certificate or test scores (TOEFL/IELTS). If you are not in the possession of such document, it might be useful to contact your departmental coordinator. In some cases, a statement from Radboud University is sufficient to meet the requirements. If you have to take a test, In'to Languages might be able to arrange something for you. Always discuss said options with your departmental coordinator before taking a test. This could save you a lot of money.

How do I find housing abroad?

This information depends on your destination and is usually shared by your host university. For some destinations, you will have to register independently for accommodation. The host university will then inform you about the procedure. Are you curious to know what the housing situation for your destination is like or are you looking for trips and tricks on finding accommodation in the private sector? It can be useful to read about students' experiences abroad.

Am I eligible for a grant/scholarship?

For European destinations you can apply for an Erasmus+ grant. Students going somewhere else are usually eligible for an Individual Travel Grant, unless they are accepted at one of our Radboud-wide partners (Holland Scholarship). Check our grant information for further details.

Which major courses can I replace with courses at the host university?

Certain programmes allow you to take some of the mandatory courses from your major abroad. You always have to consult with your student advisor in advance. Then, discuss which courses are suitable for your programme with your exchange coordinator. Lastly, you have to request permission from your programme's examination board.

Which courses can I take and do I get credits?

Please check the course list of the university you want to go to for interesting courses and discuss these with your study advisor. Subsequently, you draw up a Learning Agreement and have it signed by all parties. This document also lists your credits.

How about insurance when I go abroad?

Your basic health insurance you have in the Netherlands is usually sufficient, but there are exceptions. Contact your insurance agency to check if you need additional health or travel insurance. Please check if you have an adequate liability insurance which is valid abroad and apply for travel insurance.

If you travel to a European destination you can ask your health insurance agency for a European Health Insurance Card. You may be required to present it if you visit a doctor.

Can I temporarily discontinue my student travel product when going abroad?

You can choose to completely cancel your student travel product (and save those months for later use), but it is also possible to apply for a monthly compensation. Read more about this in our step-to-step guide.

During your stay

I want to change my courses. How do I do that?

If (some of) your courses overlap, a course is disappointing or if a course is no longer on offer, you can submit changes by completing a During Mobility Form or Change Form. Have it signed by all parties.

Who should I contact in case of any problems or difficulties?

For study related problems, please contact your international coordinator at the host university. For other inquiries, you can always contact International Office Arts: internationaloffice@let.ru.nl or +31 (0)24 361 1186.

In case of emergency: call +31 24 361 9000 (available 24/7) or +31 24 361 6055 during office hours (International Office, Monday - Friday from 09:00 to 17:00).

After your return

How do I convert my grades obtained abroad and have them validated?

Information on validating credits obtained abroad can be found here.

What do I need to do in order to get the second part of my Erasmus+ scholarship?

You need to submit a Statements Form (signed and stamped) at Radboud International, as well as a copy of your Transcript of Grades. If you made any changes to your Learning Agreement, make sure to add the During Mobility Form. Lastly, the European Union will send you an online language test to be taken after your study abroad to monitor your progress.

I would like to get involved in international student life at Radboud University. What are my options?

You can join the International Student Network of Nijmegen (ISN) to stay involved in the international student life. Their aim is to provide meaningful intercultural experiences to all students in Nijmegen, whether they are here as an international or as a Dutch student. Visit their website for additional information.

You could also become a mentor at Radboud International Students (RIS) and take part in the Orientation in August and January (among other activities). For more information, check their website.

Are you interested in inspiring or motivating other students? We are always on the lookout for students willing to help us during meetings and presentations. Do not hesitate to send us an email to express your interest.