Meet & Greet February 4
On Tuesday, February 4th, the Halkes network organized an interactive lunch meeting; a 'Meet & Greet' with some of the most successful and well known academics within our university! Eighteen scholars got the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations in which they could ask all kinds of questions related to their academic career.
The following professors were present:
- Harold Bekkering (Donders Institute)
- Mirjam Ernestus (Max Planck Institute/ Arts)
- Marinel Gerritsen, (Arts)
- Ashley Terlouw(Law)
- Paula Fikkert(Arts)
- Bart Jacobs(FNWI)
Some junior faculty brought their CV and asked the senior academics what they felt might be the strengths and weaknesses of their CV.
Other questions that were asked were:
- Why and how should I gain experience abroad?
- Did you have a mentor at one point in your career and how did you establish that relationship?
- Why and how should I establish myself outside of academia?
- What are the most important steps to take as a PhD/Postdoc/Assistant Professor to secure a future in academia?
- What are important elements in writing a Horizon2020 proposal?
- What network should I approach that could help me in my career or with applying for a specific grant?
- What do you consider as the best tips and tricks for getting the most out of attending conferences?
Participants were very enthusiastic about this event and praised the opportunity to have a chat about one's individual career. Although the prospect of talking to a professor for 10 minutes might have seemed daunting to some, participants commented on how they had very insightful chats and how they would have liked to have had more time!
Coverage of the event by Voxweb can be found here.