dr. C.S. (Carl) Davies
Postdoc Condensed Matter Physics
Carl S. Davies is a postdoctoral physicist studying how infrared light interacts with matter with an emphasis on magnetic systems and ultrafast magnetization dynamics.
His doctoral research (2013-2016, University of Exeter, United Kingdom) focused on the question of how to use non-uniformities to excite and steer spin waves. Since his PhD, he has primarily studied how visible- to infrared-light can all-optically switch magnetization on ultrafast timescales, in systems ranging from transparent dielectrics to metallic magnets. His current research at HFML-FELIX concentrates on how lattice vibrations, when excited at resonance, can induce magnetic switching. He is also actively developing novel techniques involving fiber, Ti:Sa amplified and extreme-ultraviolet lasers to detect how systems evolve in time when excited by infrared pulses.
Recent key publications
- A. Stupakiewicz*, C.S. Davies, K. Szerenos, D. Afanasiev, K.S. Rabinovich, A.V. Boris, A. Caviglia, A.V. Kimel & A. Kirilyuk*, “Ultrafast phononic switching of magnetization.” Nature Physics 17, 489 (2021)
- C.S. Davies*, G. Bonfiglio, K. Rode, J. Besbas, C. Banerjee, P. Stamenov, J.M.D. Coey, A.V. Kimel & A. Kirilyuk, “Exchange-driven all-optical magnetic switching in compensated 3d ferrimagnets.” Phys. Rev. Res. 2, 032044(R) (2020)
- C.S. Davies*, T. Janssen, J. H. Mentink, A. Tsukamoto, A.V. Kimel, A.F.G. van der Meer, A. Stupakiewicz & A. Kirilyuk*, “Pathways for single-shot all-optical switching of magnetization in ferrimagnets.” Phys. Rev. Appl. 13, 024064 (2020)
- D.O. Ignatyeva*,¶, C.S. Davies*,¶, D.A. Sylgacheva, A. Tsukamoto, H. Yoshikawa, P.O. Kapralov, A. Kirilyuk, V.I. Belotelov & A.V. Kimel, “Plasmonic layer-selective all-optical switching of magnetization with nanometer resolution.” Nat. Commun. 10, 4786 (2019)
- C.S. Davies*, K.H. Prabhakara, M.D. Davydova, K.A. Zvezdin, T.B. Shapaeva, S. Wang, A.K. Zvezdin, A. Kirilyuk, Th. Rasing & A.V. Kimel, “Anomalously damped heat-assisted route for precessional magnetization reversal in an iron garnet.” Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 027202 (2019)
* Corresponding author; ¶ Equal contribution