Frequently asked questions
- Which e-mail programs can I use to read my Radboud mail?
- Is there a way to delete data from my mobile device in case of loss or theft?
- Is it possible to share my calendar with others who are not in the general mailing list?
- Adobe Acrobat Pro is not working in Outlook2016. What can I do?
- How do I establish an IMAP connection with the science mail server?
- My colleague will not be in the office for some time. Is it possible to give someone else access to his mailbox?
- I lost an e-mail!
1. Which e-mail programs can I use to read my Radboud mail?
Besides webmail and MS-Outlook, various programs can be used for reading your Radboud mail. It depends on the program whether you will have full functionality.
- The preferred choice for mobile phones is to synchronise your device with Exchange (also called: ‘Zakelijk’)
- The preferred choice for Windows computers is MS-Outlook or webmail (outlook.office.com) combined with Internet Explorer
- The preferred choice for Mac is MS Outlook for Apple or webmail (outlook.office.com) combined with Firefox
- Commonly used browsers such as Google Chrome or Safari can cause a loss of functionality.
2. Is there a way to delete data from my mobile device in case of loss or theft?
Yes, there is option in webmail (outlook.office.com) which allows you to completely erase all the data that is stored on your mobile device remotely (so not only e-mails). Please note: erasing your data cannot be reversed! You can do so by going to the ‘Options’ menu (right hand side), then ‘All options’ and ‘Telephone’. Now select the device you wish to erase and opt for ‘Erase device’.
3. Is it possible to share my calendar with others who are not in the general mailing list?
Sharing is not possible but there are others methods for making your information available to others. You can send your calendar via e-mail, for instance, or share a link with others that redirects them to your calendar. You can do so by going to Share > Publish > Change settings in the OWA calendar.
4. Adobe Acrobat Pro is not working in Outlook2016. What can I do?
Certain versions of Adobe Acrobat Pro (10 and 11) can indeed cause problems in Office2016. You can install a new version of Adobe Acrobat Pro (Adobe Acrobat Pro DC) on your computer yourself. Before you can use this new version, you will first need to activate it for Outlook.
Follow the steps below to install the program:
- First click the start button (Windows icon), then ‘Software Center’;
- Click ‘Adobe Acrobat Pro DC’ and ‘Install’.
- Activating the program in Outlook can be done via the following steps:
- Launch Outlook;
- Click ‘File’, ‘Options’ and ‘Plug-in’;
- On the bottom of your screen, click ‘Start’ next to ‘COM Plug-ins’;
- In the top of the window that opens next you select ‘Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin’ and ‘OK’.
6. My colleague will not be in the office for some time. Is it possible to give someone else access to his mailbox?
A personal mailbox can contain private information. Giving someone – without the permission of the owner - access to a person’s mailbox is prohibited by law (Wet Bescherming Persoonsgegevens / Personal Data Protection Act). Therefore, the owner himself will have to send in a request to authorise someone else for access to his mailbox. The ISC can create out of office messages. In case of a missing person or death, the ISC can create an out of office message always in consultation with the Security Officer of Radboud University.
Functional- or group mailboxes T
he owner of a functional- or group mailbox is the only person who is authorised to request full access for someone. Other authorised individuals (who can access the mailbox) can manually give viewing rights to others.
If the registered owner cannot be contacted, the (former) manager of this person can send in a request for the appointment of a new owner.
Please contact the ICT Helpdesk in both cases for the necessary administration.
7. I lost an email!
If you lost an email, it can usually be found in the Deleted Items folder, even if you checked the Empty the Deleted Items folder upon exiting option and you can no longer find the email in your Deleted Items folder. This is because deleted emails are stored on the server for sixty days.
You can retrieve deleted emails as follows:
- Outlook: Left-click the Deleted Items folder and select the Recover Items From Server option from the ribbon.
- Webmail (outlook.office.com): Right-click Deleted Items and select Recover Deleted Items.