Online meeting, chatting
There are various (free) possibilities for online meetings. Make sure that you never share confidential information via online meeting tools. Discuss confidential information with your colleagues by telephone possibly with a conference call). Share your documents in a secure manner (staff / students) and not via an online meeting tool. Especially now, online meeting tools are very interesting for hackers.
The university gives support on the use of Zoom and Teams if you are already migrated to M365.
Some standard game rules for online meetings, chatting:
Do not share confidential information via an online meeting tool.
Keep in mind that what you discuss and share could, in principle, become public.
Share your documents in a secure manner (staff / students).
Set cookies to: 'only functionally necessary' in your browser and when asked for permission.
- Image and sound:
Test your sound and image (sufficient light, quiet background) before the start of the consultation.
Be conscious of turning your microphone and camera on and off. Indicate when you want to say something and muffle your sound as much as possible.
Only switch the microphone and camera on during the consultation.
Block recording if possible.
Do not store recordings in the cloud.
If possible, use a unique ID and password per meeting.
If you need to choose your own password, never choose the same as your Radboud password.
Never share your Radboud password with others.
- Storing data:
Do not store any data in the online meeting and chat resources.
Your connection is better if you use the tools below without eduVPN.
Zoom, online meeting tool for the university:
The default settings are set so that you can use it safely for conducting "normal" conversations. But again, avoid privacy-sensitive topics.
- Support from the ICT Helpdesk
- Possibilities: Video conferencing or collaboration. Zoom can also be used in education, read more.
More info: manual (pdf, 348 kB).
Since July 21 one Radboud-licence is available for students and employees.
Radboud-licence: maximum 300 participants, no time limitation, recording possible.
Webinar and Extra Large Meeting: up to 500 and 1000 participants.
- Software: via web browser or downloadable app. For use on smartphones etc. an app is always required.
- Security: Password protection is required. Both versions have the RU settings by default: cookies are set to minimal, sharing and downloading documents is off, recording is off, audio and video is off at startup, mandatory password use is on.
Zoom, frequently asked questions
Zoom site: https://www.zoom.us/
Other information from Zoom https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us
Very limited support by the ICT Helpdesk
Support of the ICT Helpdesk on the basis of 'best effort'.
- Participants: Suitable for up to 5 people
- Account: You need a personal Microsoft account. (Never choose the same as your RU password).
- Security: Do not discuss critical/sensitive issues.
Manual Skype (pdf, 408 kB)
Other ICT tips for Working from home due to corona measures.