Library of Science in the Huygens Building
For academic literature for research and education in the natural sciences, visit the Library of Science in the Huygens Building. On the library website (www.ru.nl/library) you will find the relevant search engines for these and other academic fields in Subject guides.
Together, the library and Study and Resource Centre form the Library of Science, which can be found on the ground floor of the Huygens Building (HG00.011), next to the cafeteria. Wi-Fi is available in the entire area. In addition to the PCs, you have the option of using your laptop. Radboud University staff and students can borrow books for free using their employee or student card. For more information, visit our website.
Upon entering, you will see the check-out and information desk. Here you can:
- request help in finding information through special search engines for the natural sciences, such as Web of Science, ACM Digital Library, IEEE and MathSciNet. On request, library staff will provide a brief training;
- receive help and instructions for Endnote or Mendeley, software packages that lets you easily save and reuse publication details in theses and publications;
- work in groups on papers and projects. There are 8 group work areas where you can discuss your work;
- scan, print, both in black and white and in colour;
- bind, staple, etc., your copies and prints;
- buy print credit. The purchased credit will be added immediately;
- check out and return books. This includes books you checked out at other libraries;
- request information on how to apply for publications at other Dutch university libraries or abroad.
- headphones and laptop locks. You can borrow these at the service desk.
In the reading room you will find:
- Faculty of Science related books and magazines. Books may be checked out. Magazines must be read at the library. Articles may be copied;
- magazines that are only available digitally, numbering in the hundreds! You can consult them from all faculty PCs. At other PC work locations - home, for instance - you can log in through www.ru.nl/library. Use your RU account to gain access. In this way you also have off-campus access to the search engines;
- e-books. An increasing number of books can be consulted digitally. Visit this page for more information on these books. You can access and use these books from home, using your RU password;
- a reading table where you can study or read quietly;
- PCs where you can work quietly.
At the Study and Resource Centre you can:
- find compulsory and recommended educational literature;
- find PCs that, in addition to Microsoft Office, work with Linux;
- use reserved areas for group discussion and work on projects. You can reserve these rooms at the service desk at the entrance of the Library of Science;
- ask questions or report problems with PCs on the ground floor of the Huygens Building to the service desk at the entrance;
The Library of Science is open from Monday to Thursday from 8.15 to 22.00 hrs. On Friday we close at 20.00 hrs. On Saturday we are open from 9.30 to 16.00 hrs.
If you have any questions regarding our services, please contact the Library of Science desk.