Zoek in de site...

Educational material

Including links in Brightspace
Using texts
Using images and sound
Use during lectures/classes


Including links in Brightspace

Links are certainly allowed, provided the material has been published lawfully. This must be an external link, however, which may not be opened within the university’s own website. As a lecturer, you are personally responsible for ensuring that you refer to material that has been published lawfully.

Please note: if you copy and paste information from a website, you are reusing and reproducing the information. To do this lawfully, you must take copyright into account. For education purposes, the agreement with the Stichting UvO (in Dutch) applies. When reusing information, referencing is mandatory.

In many cases, you will link to material that has already been purchased by Radboud University or has been subscribed to and for which a license has been obtained from the publisher. Below you will find instructions how to link correctly. To access articles that are freely available online, you can link directly, without additional steps.

You can link to University Library materials in two ways.

RUQuest link

Search for the article in RUQuest. In the description of the article click on Share.

You will see a URL that can be copied to your educational material or Brightspace.

Link from another database

You can also use another databases, such as Web of Science, PubMed or PsycINFO.

Step 1: find URL

  • Click in the description of the article on the button fulltext
    This usually leads you directly to the electronic version of the article on the publisher’s site, without an intermediate screen.
  • Copy the URL from the address bar, for example:

Step 2: add a proxy-prefix in front

To ensure that students both on campus and at home are able to directly access the electronic article, paste the proxy-prefix in front of the URL:


The complete URL that you then paste into your educational material or Brightspace looks like this:

Kluwer Navigator

When referring to (chapters from) books or journal articles from Kluwer Navigator, you use a deep link without a proxy prefix. This way you also get access to the relevant article or book at home.

Example of copying a deep link.

kluwer deeplink

Using texts

Buyout scheme with Stichting UvO

In order to use texts in your educational materials, regardless of whether they are printed or digital, you must request permission from the copyright holder. Since this includes a lot of additional work for you, the lecturer, Dutch universities have jointly agreed to a scheme with Stichting UvO, which represents the copyright holders. The universities pay a fee for use within the confines of the following agreements:

  • Acquisitions and use are limited to 50 pages and no more than 25% of the entire work.
  • Proper source citation for all acquisitions is required.
  • "Stacking" acquisitions is not permitted, i.e. distributing parts of a publication among multiple readers for the same course.
  • The scheme applies to both printed and digital educational materials.
  • The scheme also applies to images. There is no maximum number of images that you may include in a PowerPoint presentation for example. However, there are two conditions: a maximum of 25 images from one work (e.g. a book) and a maximum of a few works by the same author.
  • Agreements in the scheme have been made for 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2020. Pending a new agreement, the scheme will continue to apply in 2021 and 2022.
  • Each year since, Stichting UvO has reviewed three universities to see whether they are complying with the scheme. Therefore, it is important that you abide by the agreements. Violating these will result in financial consequences for all the universities!
  • Including a link to the digital version of the publication is always permitted.

Read the full agreement on the website of stichting UvO.

Please note: Of course, you are free to use publications that you have written yourself. If you want to use your own article or book that has been published by a publisher, you are often not permitted to use the layout used by the publisher (publisher version) without explicit permission.

Therefore, a copy from a journal or book is not permitted. The policies of publishers can be found in SHERPA/RoMEO with regard to the use of pre-print (accepted, but not yet peer-reviewed), post-print (submitted by author), or publisher version of a text.

Reuse of licences that have already been arranged

The licences for subscriptions that the University Library has agreed to often include permission to use the texts as educational materials. Open access publications and full texts in the Radboud Repository can also be used without restrictions.

Using the verification tool, you can check whether electronic journal articles from a publisher may be acquired and used in educational materials on the basis of a licence.

If usage is not permitted under a licence, check whether the acquired portion is within the above-mentioned maximum of 50 pages and is no more than 25% of the entire work.

When using copyright-protected material, always provide a source citation.

Other acquisitions

  • If you acquire and use more than above-mentioned maximum (50 pages or less and no more than 25% of the entire work) and reusing it in full has not been arranged under one of our licences, then additional costs will be incurred and this must be reported to Stichting UvO. The contact person in your faculty can help you further.
  • Open access publications and full texts in the Radboud Repository can also be used without restrictions.
  • You can also choose to request permission from the copyright holder for acquisitions above the maximum. The permission you receive must be included in full in your educational materials for the relevant acquisition.
  • Correct source citation is always required.
  • In order to acquire and use films, etc., permission must be requested from the copyright holder. This also applies for the use of things such as PowerPoint presentations that you include in your educational materials. The education exemption applies to usage during your lectures in educational spaces.

Using images and sound

This text is based on the ‘rules of thumb’ of the Network of Copyright Information Points. These rules of thumb are intended to assist lecturers in the use of images and sound in education, Network of Copyright Information Points, September 2012.

Linking is allowed

Linking to images, videos and sound clips online is always allowed. The links must refer to lawfully published material. If you wish to use a video or sound clip, you will have to ‘stream’ them directly. First downloading and then playing them is forbidden, unless the license terms permit this.

Use of images and audio-visual works with a license for reuse

Downloading and playing image and audio-visual works with a license that permits reuse poses no problems. Depending on the type of Creative Commons license used, the possibilities for use are broader or narrower.

Using the right to quote images

The right to quote allows you to use images or audio-visual works, subject to the following conditions:

  • It must benefit the content of the teaching, so must not only be for decorative purposes.
  • The scope of the quotation must be in line with the objective it pursues. Practically speaking, with audio-visual works, this amounts to short extracts. You may ‘cite’ images in their entirety.
  • The image/video which is cited, has been published lawfully.
  • Referencing is mandatory.
  • You may not alter the clip or image.

Playing complete audio-visual works

You may play a complete audio work free of charge and without permission, subject to the following conditions:

  • Playing serves an educational purpose during a class or lecture and is part of the curriculum.
  • Playing must physically take place in the institution itself or take place via a digital lecture (for example via Zoom, Webex).
  • Playing takes place within the context of non-profit education.
  • Posting a copy of the work on an electronic learning environment for students to play from home is not allowed and, in such circumstances, you must request permission before use in this manner.

Using clips of audio-visual work in Brightspace

You may share clips of audio-visual works in Brightspace, subject to the following conditions:

  • Playing only serves as an explanatory tool during non-profit education. It must be complementary and not substitute the education.
  • Posting must be done in a closed environment where only students have access.
  • An equitable remuneration must be paid to the copyright holders. Each faculty regulates this differently. Your contact person in your faculty can assess what agreements have been concluded with Videma, Buma/Stemra or Pictoright.
  • In this situation, playing need not physically take place in the classroom. Students may view or play the works at home.

Lending of audio-visual works

Media with audio-visual works purchased by University Library, may be borrowed and viewed or listened to at home (i.e. outside the walls of the institution) by the borrower.

Use during lectures/classes

During classes and lectures, presentations, film and audio clips are often used. Much of this material can be used without permission in the context of education. There are a few conditions for this:

  • the screening takes place in the physical training facility of the educational institute or takes place via a digital lecture (for example via Zoom, Webex)
  • it serves to support the training
  • it has no commercial purpose

The use is permitted in an educational setting, but this does not mean that the same material may then be included in a reader or made available in Brightspace. Different rules apply for the use of copyright protected works in educational materials.

You may also use copyright-free work and free material. Referencing is mandatory.