Student systems and IT manuals
On this page you can find all the information you need to use Radboud University's and Nijmegen School of Management's IT-systems. If you are a new student you should follow the steps below.
Presentation Orientation and NSM Welcome Day 2021
Download the most recent presentation (pdf, 668 kB) about our student systems.
If you have any more questions about specific IT systems after reading the information below, please see the following links for helpful tips and manuals:
- Work instructions Osiris
- FAQ about Osiris for international students
- Instruction video about the schedule
Before you can use the systems of the Radboud University, you need to visit the website of Identity Management to activate and set-up your account. Are you experiencing difficulties trying to log in? Please note the following:
- Have you logged in with an S and afterwards with exactly 7 digits? This combination is called a student number and is unique for every enrolled student.
- Have you used the correct password? You should have gotten an email with your activation code. After using this, you will need to set up your own password. The activitation code can only be used once. In case you need a new activation code, you can fill in the form at www.ru.nl/newpassword.
- Have you enrolled as a student? Are you registered with the Radboud University Nijmegen? If not, please see that you do. For more information go to the enrolment guide.
- If you are still unable to log in after following the above steps, then we advise you to contact or drop by the Central Student Desk (email@example.com).
Via the Student Portal you can read your Brightspace messages, send and receive emails, follow different news sources, consult your college schedule, register for courses, browse your grades and more.
Below is a list of the most important parts of the Student Portal.
Osiris is where you can (de-)register for courses and exams, and where you can find your exam results. Please note: as of academic year 2019-2020, Nijmegen School of Management applies strict deadlines for registering for courses, exams, and resits. Make sure you register in time.
The personal schedule is where you can find all locations and times of courses. It is completely modifiable to your registered courses and programmes. The exams and resits will also show up in your personal schedule. You can add your whole study programme at once by choosing 'add timetable' and then 'programme of study'. At the next menu, you can look for your programme. An instruction movie for the personal schedule can be found here. Via the page of the personal schedule you can also request guest access in case you do not have an active RU account yet. This way you can still access the schedule.
Visit the schedule page to find more information about the timetable of different courses and to find the year schedule of Nijmegen School of Management.Via the schedule page of the desired year, you can request information per course (module) or study programme. Schedules of entire examination weeks can be found under study programmes.
- Add the schedule of courses in 2023-2024, instead of 2021-2022.
- Ensure that the codes of the courses in your personal schedule (eg. MAN- BCU012) match the codes of the courses for which you are registered in Osiris.
- Check all the boxes with your work group, lectures and keys, under the heading "filter activities”.
- If your schedule doesn’t appear after adding your courses, it is possible that you are looking at an education-free week. Change the week number to see your schedule.
The study guide contains the courses for your study programme and provides an overview of the courses for each academic year and semester.
Brightspace is the university's digital study environment. Here you can find content like: announcements from the lecturer(s), general course information like schedules and study guide information, and tasks, assignments and presentations of lectures.
For some courses you can can be asked to: participate in discussions on Brightspace, hand in files via Brightspace, or register for group assignments on Brightspace. The content will be offered along established lines but may vary per lecturer.
Are you experiencing difficulties with accessing a course? Please note the following:
- Have you enrolled (via Osiris) for this course?
- Can you sign up for other courses and/or communities? If so, then you should ask the course lecturer if he or she has opened it for students.
- If all else fails then notify the ICTO about your problem by contacting them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to provide them with your student number, your name, the name of the course and if possible, the course code.
In this extensive video you will find even more explanation about the possibilities in Brightspace.
Registering for courses and work groups
Via Osiris one can register for courses and exams. Registration via Brightspace is also possible for selected courses and exams. Please note: Nijmegen School of Management applies strict deadlines for registering for courses, exams, and resits. Make sure you register in time.
Microsoft Exchange is the standard e-mail and calendar programme for all employees and students of the Radboud University. Exchange can be reached in a webbrowser at http://mail.ru.nl. When you login, please place ru\ before your employee- or student number (for instance: ru\s123456). You can also login with your primary e-mail adress. Exchange can also be used via Outlook, which is automatically installed on every work station of the Radboud University. For more information, visit the site about e-mail. Need any help? Contact email@example.com.
Please note: the Radboud University only communicates with you through your @ru.nl mail account. If you send an e-mail, make sure to send it from your Radboud account.
4. Ordering books and readers
After enrolling for courses and setting up your other accounts, you can order your books and readers needed for the courses you are enrolled in.
Ordering books can be done via www.ru.nl/nsm/books.
Ordering readers can be done via www.ru.nl/nsm/readers.
Note: Are you following the Bachelor's programme in Economie en Bedrijfseconomie, the Bachelor's programme in Economics and Business Economics or the Master's programme in Economics? Order your books from your study at Dekker vd Vegt. Are you following a course from one of these studies, but is this organised by another study? Then order your books via www.ru.nl/nsm/books.
5. Purchasing a device (mobile, laptop or otherwise)
To be able to follow an educational programme at Radboud University, it is important that you have a suitable electronic device, mobile or otherwise. The following minimum specifications are recommended:
- Windows 10
- Intel i5 processor (or similar: AMD ryzen 5)
- 8 GB internal memory
- 256 GB SSD storage
- Internet connection
- 13-inch display
- Sufficient battery life
Users of a MacBook should ensure that at least the latest version of the operating system is installed.
If you wish, you can purchase a device from www.surfspot.nl, a non-profit ICT web shop that offers discounts for students on hardware and other items. Of course, you are also welcome to purchase equipment elsewhere. Students can download the F-secure internet security package free of charge from SURFspot.
If it is financially impossible for you to purchase such a device, please visit this website. Besides this, a loan laptop is possible by filling out the request form.
To be able to access RU applications off-campus, it is important to arrange a VPN connection.
6. Other facilities
- OSIRIS app: with the OSIRIS app it is possible to see your timetable, exam results and study progress in one app. You also receive push notifications when a new exam result or note is added.
- VPN: with VPN (Virtual Private Network) you create an encrypted 'tunnel' between your digital device (PC, smartphone, etc.) and a VPN server. To access RU applications off-campus, it is important to arrange a VPN connection.
- KUARIO: the payment app for the printers.