Zoek in de site...

Studying abroad

Going abroad

Would you like to spend a part of your study programme abroad and take courses there? There is plenty of room for that in the study programme (30 EC). You can take courses at a university abroad or replace courses in the Nijmegen curriculum. Radboud University has made arrangements with many universities abroad for student exchange. There are contacts with universities in Europe (via the Erasmus mobility programme), in the United States (via ISEP), and there are bilateral agreements with universities in countries such as Japan, Brazil, and Argentina. The International Mobility Office of the faculty can tell you everything about that and assist you in the (prompt) planning of a stay abroad: take a year of preparation into account.


If you want to study abroad, it is very important to promptly begin focusing on your options. Some examples are the university you want to attend, the courses you want to take, and all types of practical matters you have to arrange, such as booking your ticket and arranging housing. The International Mobility Office organises information sessions two to three times each year about the options for studying abroad. Furthermore, Radboud University organises Radboud Beyond Borders two times each year.


The Netherlands organisation for international cooperation in higher education (Nuffic) is an important organisation in Netherlands in the field of student exchange. The website contains extensive general information about study programmes and internships abroad.


Dr. ir. Lothar Smith

Summer school

If you want to get a sense of what it’s like to study abroad, but do not want to dedicate an entire semester to it (due to an internship, administrative duties, or the minor you have chosen), you can also spend a short time at a university abroad via summer courses. Leading up to this summer school, the student can submit a formal request to the Examination board in order to use courses taken during the summer school to complete their elective requirement. If approved, the student can receive up to 6 ECTS for summer/winter school per programme (BA or MA).


If you have decided to study abroad, please contact the student advisor and the IMO in order to arrange everything.

Guideline for travelling to unsafe areas

The Executive Board is ultimately responsible for the well-being of the students and staff members of the university. Therefore, it also wants to prevent them from ending up in unsafe situations abroad. For this reason, the Executive Board has created the guideline “Veilig naar het buitenland” (Travelling abroad safely).