Upon completion of the course:
- You will have gained a deeper understanding of the concepts of cultural identity, cultural perception and cultural bias.
- You will have gained an insight into Dutch (cultural) identity and how this relates to your own (cultural) identity.
- You will be able to conduct conversations and discussions in Dutch about themes related to Dutch (cultural) identity.
- You will be able to understand simple articles and news reports in Dutch on (cultural) identity.
- You will be able to apply concepts and theories about identity to a practical case in a group context.
In the minor in Dutch Language, Culture and Communication, you will delve into various aspects of Dutch language and culture. In the language proficiency courses within this minor, you will develop your Dutch language skills and study the themes of language, identity, culture and communication.|
In this Dutch Identity course, you will explore what identity is and whether there is such a thing as Dutch identity. You will study theories on cultural identity and become acquainted with different expressions of cultural identity. You will investigate which expressions are regarded as being typically Dutch and compare the image that the Dutch have of themselves with the image that others have of the Dutch. We will not only take a close look at the Netherlands and the Dutch, but we will also reflect in general on what (cultural) perception actually is. How do people define themselves and how do they see the other? In the process, you will also examine your own cultural lens and the extent to which your image of reality is coloured by (cultural) bias. In addition, you will develop the Dutch language skills you need to be able to discuss these themes.
The target language of this course is Dutch; Dutch is therefore the main language of instruction. You are therefore encouraged to speak Dutch as much as possible during lectures and group assignments.
This course is NOT suitable for native speakers of Dutch.
Dutch proficiency A2 (CEFR) and/or the course The Dutch Language (LET-LETMI-DLCC02)|
The target language of this course is Dutch; Dutch is therefore the main language of instruction. You are therefore encouraged to speak Dutch as much as possible during lectures and group assignments.|