- to provide insight in the genesis, structure and functioning of large river ecosystems
- to provide insight in possibilities and opportunities for ecological rehabilitation of large rivers
- Ecological concepts for river management
- Morfo-dynamics and floodplain sedimentation
- Palaeogeography of the Dutch Delta
- History of human occupation of riverine environments
- Trends in water and sediment quality in relation to biota
- Vegetation: biogeochemical constraints and floodplain dynamics
- Fauna in river systems: macroinvertebrates, fish, reptiles and amphibians, birds, mammals
- Biological invasions in river systems
- Ecosystem based water managments: innovative techniques in management
- Ecological rehabilitation
Lectures will be given by specialists in the field of river functioning and management. Besides internal teachers a variety of lecturers from other universities, research institutes, private nature conservancy and research organisations and consultancy firms will be invited.
NOTE: this course is scheduled once in every two years.