|The student can apply GIS concepts and technologies to analyse spatial problems in biology and the environmental sciences.|
GIS is an instrument (often a software package) that is used to study and analyse spatial data. Some of the major issues facing society today have a geographical component. This explains why GIS is used for a wide variety of applications and in a wide variety of sectors, for example:
- Production of (topographic) maps;
- Route planners for cars and public transport;
- Delivery of mail;
- Studying the dispersal of diseases;
- Analysis of pollutant dispersal;
- Analysis of vegetation patterns in nature development areas;
- Spatial planning (e.g., of cities and residential areas);
- Percision bombings;
- Studying the dispersal of species and genes.
This GIS Course familiarizes you with GIS concepts and technology. The course focuses on GIS applications in biology and environmental studies. You will learn to think "geographically" and apply GIS software. After the course you will be able to recognize and indicate the capabilities of GIS for analysing biological and environmental issues.
- Response course
|The course is open to all BSc and MSc students of the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Medical Sciences. Students of other faculties have to submit a motivated request to participate in the course to the course coordinator. It is expected that students have affinity with natural science issues. The course material is English.|
| written report1, counts for 25%, minimum grade 6.0
written report2, counts for 25%, minimum grade 6.0
group project, counts for 50%, minimum grade 5.5|
- The course focuses on theory and mastering practical GIS skills.
- The course ends with group project that lasts 5 working days.
- There will be a maximum of students that can participate. Enrolment is based on date and time of enrolment and will happen automatically. ('first come first serve').
- If the maximum capacity is exceeded, students in the Man and the Environment have priority, so please make sure to enrol for a back-up course in time!