SOW-BKI124
Linear Algebra for Artificial Intelligence
Course infoSchedule
Course moduleSOW-BKI124
Credits (ECTS)3
CategoryB1 (First year bachelor)
Language of instructionEnglish
Offered byRadboud University; Faculty of Social Sciences; Artificial Intelligence;
Lecturer(s)
Contactperson for the course
L.E.C. Jacques
Other course modules lecturer
Coordinator
dr. ing. L.P.J. Selen
Other course modules lecturer
Examiner
dr. ing. L.P.J. Selen
Other course modules lecturer
Academic year2018
Period
PER2  (05/11/2018 to 03/02/2019)
Starting block
PER2
Course mode
full-time
Remarks-
Registration using OSIRISYes
Course open to students from other facultiesYes
Pre-registrationNo
Waiting listNo
Placement procedure-
Aims
The objectives of the course are that students:
  • will learn the basic concepts of matrix calculations,
  • are able to apply these concepts to solve linear algebra problems.
 
Content
The course will cover the following topics:
  1. Systems of linear equations and their solutions (Gauss-Jordan procedure)
  2. Vector spaces and linear transformations
  3. Matrix multiplication
  4. Calculating a matrix inverse
  5. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors
  6. Calculating the determinant
  7. Inner product and orthogonal projections (Gram-Schmidt procedure)
We will also provide examples of how the above-mentioned concepts are used in Artificial Intelligence.
Levels
AI-BA1

Test information
Weekly assignments and a written exam. It is forbidden to use resources, such as calculators or books, during the written examination.

The written examination will consist of problems similar to those which will be discussed in the weekly assignments. 25% of the final mark will be based on the practical assignments while the other 75% will be determined by the written examination mark. You will need to score a minimum of 5.5 on the written examination to pass this course! It will not be possible to resubmit assignments.

Prerequisites
There are no explicit prerequisites but it is assumed that students have a good basic knowledge of secondary school mathematics.

Contact information
Dr. Ing. L.Selen; l.selen@donders.ru.nl; 024-3612629

Required materials
Learning Management System (Brigthspace)
Linear Algebra Lecture Notes by Bernd Souvignier– available on Brightspace.

Instructional modes
Lecture

General
14 hours of lectures

Practicals

Remark
14 hours of practicals/tutorials

Private study

General
56 hours of private study

Tests
Exam
Test weight75
Test typeExam
OpportunitiesBlock PER2, Block PER3

Assignments
Test weight25
Test typeAssignment
OpportunitiesBlock PER2