This course aims to familiarize the student with latest research in the domain of (cognitive) AI in order to promote a critical reflection on current issues and promising future directions.|
At the end of the course,
- you will have acquired a thorough overview of today’s research programs in the space of cognitive AI.
- you will have a clear idea of the ongoing research at the DCC AI institute, helping you decide on a thesis area and topic.
- you will be able to dive into a new domain of AI, think constructively therein and write/review short commentary pieces.
A number of current and emerging research themes from the field of cognitive AI will be introduced in the form of general overview presentations by domain experts, and through the study of specific research papers. The themes will be diverse, each theme covered by a AI-lecturer who is a specialist in the corresponding field. Whenever possible, opposite or complementary views on the topic will be presented, and discussed by the students in written form. Written reflections on the topics presented will undergo peer-review by the other students.
Type of test (individual essay):
- Six possibilities for written and graded essays (individual assignment). The average grade of the five best essays determines the final grade of the course.
Possibility to resit:
- Students are advised to write the first five essay options to use the 6th essay in the final week of the course as a possibility for a resit.
Minimum grade of each type:
No minimum grade applied, best 5 out of 6 essays are averaged for the final grade.
Grading for each part is registered in Brightspace, only the final grade is published in Osiris.