prof. dr. H. Bekkering (Harold)
Hoogleraar - Cognitieve psychologie
Principal Investigator - Donders Centre for Cognition
Principal Investigator - Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
Thomas van Aquinostraat 4
6525 GD NIJMEGEN
6500 HE NIJMEGEN
Our central position is that Cognition is for Action, i.e. we perceive, memorize and control events in the light of upcoming actions. Moreover, the actions initiated in the past are providing the grounding for future cognition. Following these assumption we have developed research lines in the areas of “Social Interaction”, i.e., the cognitive processes that enable coordinated interaction between different agents, “Embodied Cognition”, i.e., the impact of earlier sensorimotor experiences on language comprehension and number processing, and “Intention and Action”, i.e. how motives and conceptual knowledge about the world influences sensorimotor control.
All research lines utilize a cognitive neuroscience approach to cognition employing behavioural as well as neuroimaging tools (e.g., EEG, fMRI, TMS). Implementations of our basic research findings have been developed for Robotics, e.g., enabling social interactions in autonomous agents, and Education, e.g., advising Publishers and Government about teaching methods for Language and Math.
- Ondobaka, S., de Lange, F.P., Newman-Norlund, R.D., Wiemers, M., & Bekkering, H. (2012). Interplay between action and movement intentions during social interaction. Psychological Science, 23(1), 30-5.
- Adank P, Hagoort P, Bekkering H. (2010). Imitation improves language comprehension. Psychological Science, 1, 21(12), 1903-9.
- Schie, van, H.T., Mars, R.B., Coles, M.G.H., & Bekkering, H. (2004). Modulation of activity in medial frontal and motor cortices during error observation. Nature Neuroscience, 7, 549-54.
- van Elk, M., van Schie, H.T., Hunnius, S., Vesper, C. & Bekkering, H. (2008). You’ll never crawl alone: Neurophysiological evidence for experience-dependent motor resonance in infancy. Neuroimage, 43(4), 808-14.
Onderzoeksbeurzen en -prijzen
- 2012 - Language in Interaction. Work-package leader Gravitation program, NWO, 27,6 M Euro.
- 2012 - How the integration of sensorimotor simulation and mentalizing allows for human action understanding. NWO, TOP programme, Highest group subsidy in the Netherlands, 750 k Euro.
- 2005 - Conceptual knowledge in goal-directed Action. NWO-VICI, highest personal grant in competition in the Netherlands, 1.25 M Euro.
- 2004 - Joint Action System Technology. IP-Coordinator together with Ruud Meulenbroek. Integrated Project, 6th Framework Programme “Information Society Technologies”, 6M Euro
- 2001 - Artifact structural learning through Imitation. WP-leader., STREP, 5th Framework Programme “Information Society Technologies”, 3 M Euro.
Scientific Director De Lerende Mens, spin-off Radboud Universiteit, advisering over leren en onderwijs
(01 januari 2018)